What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    We have been offered horse manure and shavings, but I did not really want to do the spreading. Thanks for this!

2. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Beautiful:) I used to have over 80 varieties of roses before I moved to an area with a lot of deer. I had a large collection of old roses from the 1500's to 1800's. I looked up Pierre de ronsard and it sounds like a very nice rose:) I used to grow the rose Handel which was used in its development.

Now I have about 30 roses and only 10 are old roses before the 1800's.

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I only have 20-30 roses and that's enough for me. I used to work in a rose nursery and vowed that I would never plant one in my own garden. When we bought inlet farm 1846 , apart from some advanced tree the garden was non existent. An old house somehow isn't complete without a rose or 2. I have Handel in the garden also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  4. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Early tomorrow morning I'll be pulling all the cabbages and beets, and starting the summer garden.

5. HerbGir1972

HerbGir1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2014
    South Carolina
    My Coop
    Today we pulled eggplants & cukes.
    [​IMG]

Green Beans are blooming
    [​IMG]

More & More blueberries. (we have 13 to pick this year, 5 heavy bearing older plants)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Getting daily peaches, toms, cucs, green beans & berries. Flowers rescued last year are blooming! Have purple Tomatillos, gold Tomatillos, more toms, carrots, bell, cayenne and banana peppers growing well too. Loving spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    been using the x pen system zip tie together med dog carrier at the end for protection. Girls seem to be happy with it they chirped up fuss when I put them back in the garage tonight. Rose picture is very pretty, gingerbread trim around the window is charming.

8. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Love your blue berries! I have 3 young shrubs...my 4 year old collected 99% of the "green" berries for a counting game :th a rouge chicken got the other 1% :gig I got THREE blue berries this year :lau

9. HerbGir1972

HerbGir1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2014
    South Carolina
    My Coop
    My motto for the blueberries is plant more than you want, so there is plenty for all, birds, chickens, kids, cooking

I have 10 bushes at my own house, I lost three but I have 2 in containers I will replace with. ( There are about 10
    I think at my granddad's house) so between here and the farm we get our seasonal dose, the birds get a few, the yard
    chickens eat from the bottom 24 inches of the bushes. We also will be sharing with our coop babies.

This is what we took time to pick early this morning when it was cool , ended up being about 3/4 gal

[​IMG]

I rarely get to see any daylilies due to the deer so I will share with you all
    [​IMG]
    Malmasion Plum

[​IMG]
    Reforma Boulevard

[​IMG]

10. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I was looking at my broccoli plants today and they look really big and ready. So I thought I had better do some homework as this is our first time planting broccoli. So here is some tips that I found.

How To Harvest Broccoli – When To Pick Broccoli

By Heather Rhoades
    Growing and harvesting broccoli is one of the more rewarding moments in the vegetable garden. If you were able to baby your broccoli through the hot weather and kept it from bolting [1], you are now looking at several well formed heads of broccoli. You may be asking yourself when to pick broccoli. What are the signs that broccoli is ready to harvest? Read on for more information on how to harvest broccoli.
    Signs That Broccoli is Ready to Harvest

Broccoli planting [2] and harvesting is sometimes a bit tricky, but there are a few signs you can look for that will tell you if your broccoli is ready to be harvested.
    Has a Head - The first sign as to when to harvest broccoli is the most obvious. You have to have the initial head. The head should be firm and tight.
    Head Size - The broccoli head typically will get to be 4 to 7 inches wide when it is time to harvest broccoli. But do not go on size alone. Size is an indicator, but be sure to look at the other signs as well.
    Floret Size – The size of the individual florets or flower buds are the most reliable indicator. When the florets on the outside edge of the head get to be the size of the head of a match, then you can start harvesting broccoli from that plant.
    Color - When looking for signs of when to pick broccoli, pay close attention to the color of the florets. They should be a deep green. If you see even a hint of yellow, the florets are starting to bloom or bolt. Harvest the broccoli immediately if this happens.
    How to Harvest Broccoli

When your broccoli head is ready to harvest, use a sharp knife and cut the head of the broccoli off the plant. You should cut the broccoli head stem 5 inches or more below the head. Cut the head off with a swift cut. Try to avoid sawing at the stem as this could cause unnecessary damage to the plant and ruin your chances for side harvesting later.
    After you have harvested the main head, you can continue to harvest the side shoots from the broccoli. These will grow like tiny heads to the side of where the main head was. By looking at the size of the florets, you can tell when these side shoots are ready for harvest. Simply cut them off as they become ready.
    Now that you know how to harvest broccoli, you can cut the heads off your broccoli with confidence. Proper broccoli planting and harvesting can put this tasty and nutritious vegetable on your table straight out of your garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by