What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Very pretty roses, brocc. starting to form heads cabbage starting to get little golf ball size heads,picked garlic scapes for pesto.
    what type of tomato is that you have blooming, mine just starting to get some growth cold nights never ending rain.

2. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    I live in IL and have blooms on all my tomatoe plants which come up to my chest I am only 5 ft 3 but still..i tried the red plastic under the tomatoes and i guess it worked those plants are much larger than the ones straight in the ground,..harvested sugar peas today, going to replant some radish's and plant more of whatever i have room for...my beans are flowering also and it rained every day for the past week here my poor chickens runs are mudholes

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Stuffedcritter: It's a Sweet100 cherry (I think) I bought some seedlings b/c they were on clearance. Rarely do I buy a plant unless it's on sale, unless it's something that I've been looking for for a long while. They are in my green house which is a cattle panel 8 x 8 and has 3' high vents the entire length of both sides b/c the plastic needs to be replaced. It keeps a lot of extra heat, but still lets some rain in. Tomatoes love the extra heat provided by a green house, even in the summers (here in the north!) My potatoes are also setting blossoms, and I didn't plant them very long ago. I think a lot of stuff will be blooming extra early, in spite of a late start to my garden season. Strange season indeed!!!

4. Stuffedcritter

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Misbhaven are you zone five also? Mine are in raised beds with just mulch around them ground was pretty wet when I planted. Lazy gardener don't think any of us can pass up a plant marked 50% off. I've even stalked a bird bath one summer waiting for the mark down, when comes to herbs like bay and worm wood I shell out the full price.

5. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    yes i am about 1 1/2 hrs north of Peoria...nothing special no raised beds etc...my whole yard does have a slight grade to it not severe and the garden in downhill from the chickens, and i drain my ducks water into it...so when it rain all the poop fertilizes my garden all on its own all growing season no spreading needed. but my garden is big about 50x45...and i started many of my own plants, and other like cabbage,broccoli, etc have been in for a couple months

6. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This was today's haul. Stuff is getting past prime/overgrown because I cannot keep up with picking and processing it all. Had to wheel the wagon right into the house, it was so full I didn't want to make that many trips in and out the door to empty it.

Cucumbers, yellow squash, broccoli, kohlrabi, turnips and eggs (no, they weren't laid in the garden!)

2 people like this.
  7. Stuffedcritter

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Looking around the neighborhood today my plants are about the same size as everyone else, mine are late heirloom varieties (few super sweets) going to give them tea tonight. I'am always about two weeks behind everyone else just the way our place sets. Do have a two year old pepper plant with blossoms on it-)

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Nice haul res.

9. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    Beautiful!

10. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Wow! Nice haul! You must not have squash bugs where you live. I can't get any squash because of them. They even eat my melons. I'm harvesting tomatoes and collard greens. I felt around for potatoes today and picked off yellowed leaves on the tomato plants. Then we went and picked sand plums in the rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by