What did you do in the garden today?

Wow...I might get brave and try that receipe...I son in law loves hot and sweet things jam sounds lovely. Thanks for the receipe.

From the kitchens at the Crazy H-Bar Ranch; Since the peaches were trying to jump off the tree, we decided we had better can them before they go to waste... or the birds find a way to devour them. Last year, the birds got all but a few but this year we netted the tree....So we have lots!

For the second batch, we added a bag of rassberries... call us wacky, weird, and/or crazy but we threw in a few habaneros and came up with peach/rassberry pepper jelly. Tammy says it's hot and tasty...

4 cups of peeled and pitted peaches (about 8 med sized) use 3 slightly unripened and puree these. The others use a masher. Pour that into a pot with, 2 tbs of vanilla extract, 1 tbs, ground gloves, 2 tbs fruit saver. juice of 1 lemon. Add in 7 1/2 cups of sugar. Heat to a rolling boil and add both pouches, bring back to a boil for 1 min, then can. We used the Ball recipe for this, it calls for 2 3oz pouches of Ball liq pectin. After cooling overnight, the set is perfect. Very pleased with the outcome. Pass the toast!
It all looks so good, I think I might have to try your pepper jam recipe. Thanks for sharing!
big_smile.png

Picked more tomatoes and jalapenos today. Counted 14 butternut squash set and growing. Anyone know any good tricks to get them really big? Mine come out tasty and all but are barely 6 - 8 inches long. I need a big one for the fair.

I don't know if it works with squash, but milk feeding pumpkins makes them huge! Take off all the fruits except one, make a slit in the vine, run a wick into the slit then into a small dish of milk. Replenish milk daily. Another thing we do with pumpkins is scratch all the kids' names into them when they are soft and green. As the pumpkins ripen, the scratched names web over, and they can run through the garden and pick the pumpkin with their name on it. My kids loved it, and now so do my grandkids.

The Kid and I love pepper jam use on everything from eggs - meat glaze. Have try the peach pepper jam not in season yet up here. Couple of my potted tomatoes have blossoms on them,hummingbird and susuan vine are blossoming. Off to bed going to be in 90* over 60% humidity tomorrow ice bottles for the critters deep watering for plants. everyone stay safe

I don't know if it works with squash, but milk feeding pumpkins makes them huge!  Take off all the fruits except one, make a slit in the vine, run a wick into the slit then into a small dish of milk.  Replenish milk daily.  Another thing we do with pumpkins is scratch all the kids' names into them when they are soft and green.  As the pumpkins ripen, the scratched names web over, and they can run through the garden and pick the pumpkin with their name on it.  My kids loved it, and now so do my grandkids.

Thanks, I'll give it a try on one vine and see what happens.

Thanks, I'll give it a try on one vine and see what happens.

Will ya coming hunting me down if it doesn't work? :rolleyes: The slit needs to be between the fruit and the vine, and be sure to wrap the cut, with the wick in it, with something to keep the ends of the cut from drying out. I don't know if it will work either, for sure....I read it somewhere and was always going to try it. I'd always forget until too late and the fruits were close to ready.

Picked tomatoes, going to put them up when it cools down some, picked and juiced blackberries, fed and watered the critters, and played in the pool. Now it's nap time!

I canned tomatoes ...I didn't realize that it takes 2 1/2 pounds for 1 quart. I made 4 quarts today:)

Back
Top Bottom