What did you do in the garden today?

I still put up a lot..but i have a faimly of 7 and live 30 minutes from any real grocery store or anything that ends in mart...I also buy whole pigs not halfs or quarters but whole ones and if I had enough freezers i would buy a whole cow.

Got back yesterday from a 10 day trip . Got my first tomato and my first zucchini . Zucchini and yellow straight neck are blooming like crazy . Fried some squash blossoms for lunch . Other squash and pumpkins are growing well but no blooms yet . I have a squash to pollinate tomorrow . Zucchini x a vining squash mix . Trying for a borer resistant zucchini . The vining one has no borer problems ever . Picked my sugar snap peas before I left .

If all goes well try put up 50 quarts of tomato sauce, plus frozen whole tomato, 10 jars pepper relish, plus butters apple/cantaloupe/pumpkin.. Everything else gets frozen or dried.

I wish I had a large enough garden to freeze and can. I've got a small yard and garden with raised beds. We get enough to eat fresh and share with my daughter's family. Might have to try some pepper jelly or some type of jam.

This year I have only canned 4 pints of strawberry rhubarb jam..picked a yellow tomatoe..
For those who don't have the room to grow fresh fruit join you local facebook swap pages / for sale and beg I ment ask a lot of people have fruit trees etc and don't do anything with it or have way to much ..I always get apples for free I just offer to pick it by putting a in seek of ad up. And a lot of times people have extra tomatoes etc(I don't) but I have seen free ads. Never hurts to ask.
I just bought another freezer off facebook for veggies for only 60 full sized one. For beans which I need to pick and can some. I live in illinois if anyone is close I would share I have about 100 ft of beans growing

With the kid it's can or go broke feeding him, he's such a sauce nut plant five jalapeno just so he can get his pepper fix. I'am lazy about making it freeze tomatoes until have enough, cook them in roaster oven, blend, process into cans.

Enjoy your 4th of July

Today we've picked about 9 pounds of blueberries, 4 pounds of banana peppers, 5 pounds of ichiban eggplants.
We've a couple more weeks to go on our apples, No tomatoes yet.
We replanted our cucumbers and they've been up a week, so now we get to wait a little over a month till we should see the first home cucumber.
Our sunflowers are budded, and out second plant are about 6 inches tall.
We haven't seen a green bean yet but I suspect rabbits.
When our tomatoes do start coming on it will be sort of an avalanche effect I feel, since my plants are simply loaded. I plan on going and cutting some new bamboo stakes this weekend.

I thought I would share some information this morning . May be of interest to some of you . First is a picture of my pole beans . The rabbits love the Kentucky blue but have hardly touched the Fortex .

These are of my hand pollination of squash for seed . Tying shut the blossom last night and then pollinating this morning and tying shut the blossom to prevent unwanted pollination . I also tied the male flower shut last night . Turns out this female flower is a green and yellow ornamental gourd . The gourd is not bothered by squash borer . Should produce a semi bush plant with some borer resistance . Fine when used young a summer squash . Too tough when older . Flesh too course for winter squash . Due to the gourd . When the other vining mixed squash bloom I will make a cross with it . Squash are very easy to hand pollinate .

Back
Top Bottom