What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I love my Fortex. Have been saving my own seed for close to 20 years. I've sworn that i'd never grow a bush bean, and never grow any other pole bean, but on a whim, bought a mixed pkt of purple/green/yellow bush beans which were planted this year, and some yellow pole beans to plant next season.

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I planted purple bush beans this year. the flavor was different but good. I canned them mostly, so we will see next winter how they held up.

I LOVE Roma (Roman) pole beans, but have not had good luck with them in years.
    I will try Fortex next spring.

3. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Looked at my three bean pods and wished they were 300!

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are there lots of blossoms coming along?

5. HerbGir1972

HerbGir1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2014
    South Carolina
    My Coop
    Re supporting my heavy tomato plants
    picked a few green beans, & found I think the rabbits are taking down my new plants.
    Sunflowers buds are swelling
    Lots of peppers,
    We picked a few tomatoes starting to turn
    Picked more blueberries, shared half of today's pick with out neighbor.
    Had a few maters with issues, so the chickens got them.
    Marigolds look beautiful at the front of our stand, We [​IMG] picking a couple blossoms for the chickies to snack on.

We're going to be completely OVERRUN by figs
    in a week or so
    Anyone with any good recipes please PM me.

Our fig tree had doubled in size from last year
    [​IMG]

6. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Nothing on the Cattle beans for blossoms yet, Cosmos, roses, comfrey, boreage are putting on nice show garlic starting to turn yellow. Got blossoms on potted tomato, zucchini squash jones bad for tomato sandwich. Herbs seem to have stronger flavor to them this year.

Lazy Gardener how are those pea trees doing ?
    I had a blonde day went cut nettles (high in iron use them dry for rabbit feed make compost tea) wore gloves then touched my face just little blistered sprayed it with vinegar. Sometimes I could kick my own butt for being stupid.

7. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Several blossoms on the bean plants, spaghetti squash coming along, picked more tomatoes

8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Siberian Peas are in pots as are Plum, 2 sweet bush cherries, and 2 elderberries. I need to get some land cleared before planting. A guy had promised to do the job, then backed out. Peas are looking a bit anemic. I'm wondering if it's b/c of the potting mix i used. It's Pro-mix infused with an anti-fungal bacteria. I'm wondering if it's keeping the peas from being innoculated with the bacteria they need for the nitrogen fixing nodules on their roots.

in the garden, Zucchini just showing little 1/8" blossoms and female fruits if you look VERY carefully! Snap peas blooming. Potatoes blooming. Garlic scapes set, purple raspberries setting a bumper crop as are the blueberries. Planted more Zucc and cukes last week. They're up. Not much to harvest yet. Lettuce finally putting on some size after the 4th planting. # 1-3 failed for some reason. Carrots looking awesome. Corn about 10" high.

9. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Lazy Gardener
    black strap molasses mixed into water might help kick the microbes into gear.

10. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Picked more tomatoes. Finally have watermelon setting on. Waiting for beans and black eyed peas to bloom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by