What did you do in the garden today?

Tomato basil jam
2 1/2 ripe tomatoes peeled
1/4 lemon juice
3c. Sugar
1 box pectin
3 tab fresh basil chopped

1 Seed core chop tomatoes. Measure 31/2 c. Tomatoes in stainless steel pot . Bring to boil 10 min stirring constantly. Measure 31/3 cup cooked tomatoes. Return to pot. Stir in lemon juice and chopped basil.
2 .In a small bowl combine 1/4 c. Of the sugar and the pectin. Stir into hot tomatoes until mixed and starting to boil. Then :) stir in the remaining 23/4 c sugar. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute stirring. Remove from heat and ladle hot jam in sterilized jars. Process filled jars in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Makes 5 half pints...Enjoy:)

Picked green beans , squash and cucumbers . Had fried squash for lunch . Green beans , sweet corn and cucumbers with supper . A trip to the mulberry tree for some fruit . Ahhh the taste of summer .

First hand full of pole beans, some sugar snaps, one little potato, 3 cups of purple raspberries, one cup of blueberries, 3 little yellow squash, some yellow beets with greens, baby carrots and onions, and a cup full of Japanese beetles. Game on!!!!

Black eyed peas are growing like gangbusters and the collard greens are still going strong. Picked 5 1/2 lbs of tomatoes. Think I'll try some of that tomato basil jam tomorrow. I have 3 watermelons on my three little vines now. Doing the happy dance!

Thank you so much for the recipe my mom and I will be making a batch either tomorrow or Tuesday :)) I have a friend who asked a question on FB regarding brussel sprouts .. I have no clue how to answer so I though I would post it here and see if anyone knows.." Its sooooo hot here, where my brussel sprouts should be growing balls.... they are growing new "stem shoots" .... any way to stop it?? or get the others to ball up as they come in???"

What does everyone do with their pepperchinis and those others of the same size? I'm thinking of pickling them but I want a different flavor then my B&B brine... I don't really like the brine that you get at mexican food places they pickle their carrot slices in. Any ideas? 100 for the best recipe...

And what is a good recipe for this tomato basil jam that people are raving about?

Tomato basil jam 2 1/2 ripe tomatoes peeled 1/4 lemon juice 3c. Sugar 1 box pectin 3 tab fresh basil chopped 1. :)Seed core chop tomatoes. Measure 31/2 c. Tomatoes in stainless steel pot . Bring to boil 10 min stirring constantly. Measure 31/3 cup cooked tomatoes. Return to pot. Stir in lemon juice and chopped basil. 2 .In a small bowl combine 1/4 c. Of the sugar and the pectin. Stir into hot tomatoes until mixed and starting to boil. Then stir in the remaining 23/4 c...Sugar and return to boil for 1 min. Then ladle into sterilized jars and put into hot bath for 5 min. :)

I got some small tomatoes a little larger that a golf ball.. the way they grow reminds of the tomatoes on the vine a the store, picked some cherry bomb peppers,big Jim's, one bell pepper, a few beans, 4 overgrown pickles hubby asked me to make him pickles I laughed can't do much with 4...maybe some refrigerator B &B pickles. canning 2 quarts and 2 pints of green beans figure if i stay on top of it won't be so bad..realized i still have 5 quarts of tomatoes from last year going to have to make some vegtable soup..I have cabbages ready too.

Tomato basil jam
2 1/2 ripe tomatoes peeled
1/4 lemon juice
3c. Sugar
1 box pectin
3 tab fresh basil chopped

1 Seed core chop tomatoes. Measure 31/2 c. Tomatoes in stainless steel pot . Bring to boil 10 min stirring constantly. Measure 31/3 cup cooked tomatoes. Return to pot. Stir in lemon juice and chopped basil.
2 .In a small bowl combine 1/4 c. Of the sugar and the pectin. Stir into hot tomatoes until mixed and starting to boil. Then
smile.png
stir in the remaining 23/4 c sugar. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute stirring. Remove from heat and ladle hot jam in sterilized jars. Process filled jars in boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Makes 5 half pints...Enjoy:)
How much is usually in a box of pectin I could only find 4.7 oz jars .... Thank you

i picked a quart of blueberries for pancake breakfast with the family, and a handful of raspberries that got munched down by me immediately.
i picked basil to take to the chickens to see if they like it.
and cut flowers for the table.
happy camper cooper

Back
Top Bottom