What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    dehydrated some watermelon.canned 4 quarts of beans, 2 quarts of vegetable soup , [​IMG] bought some corn I cant grow it there is a considerable slop to my yard which is heavy in clay get about 4-5 feet tall then it rains and falls over..didn't get the crab apples picked, plan on making corn cob jelly and crab apple jelly Friday..
    I picked a few pepper froze them don't care if they get mushy making pepper jelly out of them, picked a couple cucumbers and watered..
    the canning is just beginning..I still have about 150 more quarts to put up of various things.

2. Hershy

Hershy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR
    Applied fish fertilizer in hopes the dukes and tomatoes will start going gangbusters... Crossing fingers:D

3. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Be doing a lot of canning today!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    One cucumber ready to pick... almost. Same with one cherry tomato.

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I was reading this and thinking, 'It was all over for me months ago." Then I saw you are Maine.
    I am glad the seasons move up so your farmers can send the produce down.

We are down to peppers, eggplant. and okra.
    lettuce is a distant memory.
    Salad is our winter meal. I have to buy a cucumber in July.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Viva la difference!!

7. HerbGir1972

HerbGir1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2014
    South Carolina
    My Coop
    We'll the rain kept me out of my garden but had to still work in the misty for the flowers
    at our local electric coop. My chickies get lots of gree things to eat so it's worth it to me.

My 2nd crop cukes are starting to come on, we're hoping for a good enough crop to even leave some on too long so we can
    make some spiced cucumber rings (ever had spiced apple rings, tastes almost exactly the same)

My first round of sunflowers are finishing up, we've pulled plants to save seed from for 2015 rows.

I ordered some glass gem and bantem sweet corn for next spring as well as my collards and kales for this year.
    I should be receiving them tomorrow,
    Check out victoryseeds.com be sure when it asks you where you heard it from give my name Victoria Meetze...
    I'll be purchasing my tomato seeds from here next year as well, lots of heirloom types of things here.

I'll be having a larger space to plant in next year as we are moving our fencing back about 12' with a hard fencing
    instead of wire so the horses can't get over into the first & second rows of what I'm growing, apparently they do not care for sunflowers they left those alone this year...:fl

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  8. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    I froze 4 quarts of corn,made 7 pints corn cob jelly first time I made it...tastes sort of like corn syrup to me kids are bound to like it..didn't step foot in my garden went school supply shopping as it starts in 11 days here [​IMG]the moody teenage boy won't be bored anymore!!

9. adventerousone

adventerousone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2014
    Wichita KS
    I am freezing beans and beet greens today I peeled and seeded a bunch of tomatoes both reds and yellows I really want to make the tomato basil jam today..

10. HerbGir1972

HerbGir1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2014
    South Carolina
    My Coop
    COrn COb Jelly...?
    I need to know how to do that....

I'm drying some more tomatoes, & figs today
    plus putting down another batch of red tomato marmalade

Gotta work up some banana peppers & do something with some green bells

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by