What did you do in the garden today?

google it..basically take your empty cobs after you have cut the corn off, break them up boil them in 2 to 3 quarts of water...until you get it concentrated, you need 4-5 cups depending on recipe...I just use the same water i cooked the corn in the first place..can strain or leave the little bits of corn i just left it.
the recipe i used was
5 cups of the corn liquid
4 cups sugar
5 tablespoon pectin (the flex stuff it is what i had) , or 1 box
1/4 cup lemon juice,
water bath for 10 min.
made 7 pints
I found a similar one
http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/how-to-make-corn-cob-jelly/

it tastes sort of like honey, weird stuff doesn't set right away directions even say can take up to a week i had about a tablespoon i put in a plastic container in the frig so i know it will set.I bet it would be great turned into sweet and sour sauce, or even if hot pepper were added to it. i threw the cobs to the chickens when cooled so they could get any little bits that were left.

Last edited:
canned 1 quart of beans, froze the extra's, also canned 1 pint, 2 -1/2 pints of diced tomatoes with chili's, several small tomatoes, a few big jim's,2 bell peppers, a few other hot chili's, 1 squash, cucumbers and pickles.. hubby should re till a 6 x 20 area for me tomorrow not sure what i am putting in maybe some more beans as my chickens like to hide in my bush beans and have about killed 2 rows..I think i will be making pickles some pickles sunday evening.

Out of the garden and into the kitchen.... Again! So, today we finally took the 20 lbs of garden tomatoes from the freezer and added those to the 5 lbs of romas and 8 lbs large tomatoes. It took 3 hours to blanch, peel and pureed them. We saved about 2 lbs of romas and just diced them up. We browned 2 lbs of lean ground beef and 2 lbs italian sausage and sauteed onions and garlic. Tomorrow we will cook it up. At the last minute we will add diced red and yellow onions, red and green peppers and some lemon basil and purple basil (all from the garden). I can't wait, because the house will smell amazing. Should get about 15ish pints...

More tomatoes and Figs today about 1/2 bushel basket each, going back for more figs tomorrow I should have enough to make up a batch of figgy marmalade.
Cooked off what I had set down in Red Tomato Marmalade, got 3 pints out of it. For the final total of poundage of tomatoes in my First Crop Summer Garden was over 200# of tomatoes
around here Organic tomatoes run about $2.99/lb and more for organic heirloom tomatoes, So it is totally worth it, saved over $600.oo just by growing our own. I've got them canned, pickled, frozen, marmalade, and to be sauced..Not counting what we have eaten fresh and baskets we have gifted..I have several late tomato plants I grew from seed, they are pink Suddeth's Strain Beefsteaks, I've never grown them before but they should extend our harvest, I still have 4 plants I'm still picking off of now, 3 romas & 1 Black Krim.

I think the pepper row will be the next to finish up, and I saw the deer or the ducks that were there yesterday have damaged some of my 2nd crop cukes.

Oh well, I really onlu had two projects to complete with them, I have a friend growing them too so I'm sure I can get several pounds of over grown ones from them

Last edited:
I went and robbed my MIL's garden
woot.gif
She plants like 20 tomatoes plants, she is the only one in her house that eats them..she need like 2.. I got enough to can 4 quarts &1 pint of tomatoes, 2 pints and 1/2 pint of salsa, also canned 10 quarts of pickles dill , bread and butter and 5 quarts of green beans...
I did take her 6 bell peppers in return for the tomatoes, and promised my FIL I would grow out some rabbit for him.
hide.gif
I only have 26, week old bunnies LOL and another litter one the way . There are two bird and small animal swap meets coming up.. I can sell nz mix bunnies for $10 each pretty much anytime for meat or pets, I really didn't expect 26 , 3 first time moms only lost 1.. Their poop is great for the garden..

Tomato basil jam 2 1/2 ripe tomatoes peeled 1/4 lemon juice 3c. Sugar 1 box pectin 3 tab fresh basil chopped 1. :)Seed core chop tomatoes. Measure 31/2 c. Tomatoes in stainless steel pot . Bring to boil 10 min stirring constantly. Measure 31/3 cup cooked tomatoes. Return to pot. Stir in lemon juice and chopped basil. 2 .In a small bowl combine 1/4 c. Of the sugar and the pectin. Stir into hot tomatoes
[/IMG] until mixed and starting to boil. Then stir in the remaining 23/4 c...Sugar and return to boil for 1 min. Then ladle into sterilized jars and put into hot bath for 5 min. :)

Made your Jam with yellow tomatoes ... Omg it is AWESOME :)) waiting for a few more reds to ripen then will try a batch with them :))

Back
Top Bottom