What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. Hershy

Hershy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR
    Cut a hole between the garden and the chicken run so the chickens can do my winter cleanup! They seemed happy to comply!

2. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I planted collards for the first time this year. Planted them a little late, so they aren't quite ready yet. Forgot the name of them, but they are very similar to what they call cabbage collards around here. So good!

3. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Anyone greenhouse gardening on here? I just finished building a small lean to one and have tomatoes, parsley, basil, lettuces, and squash growing.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have tomatoes growing, but it did not occur to me to try squash. What kind are you growing?

5. LoveThatChick

LoveThatChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Cedar Hill, TN

Greenhouse gardener here! I actually just set up a 15 by 6 foot greenhouse today, I'm going to grow lettuces and a few other things in it, defiantly kale, maybe green beans. :)

6. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Are you planting in pots or raised beds? I have never tried green beans either, Bush beans?

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Must have green beans. If space is at a premium, I recommend pole beans. As a matter of fact, I rarely grow ANY bush beans. They take up way more room, produce way less, and have to be washed after being picked. Pole beans: You don't have to bend over to pick them, and can usually just plop them in the pan to cook without bothering to wash them. Personal favorite: Fortex.

8. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Thanks. I bet I can flip one of those tomato rings upside down on a five gallon pot and grow pole beans.
    Not bending over is a big plus.

9. LoveThatChick

LoveThatChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Cedar Hill, TN
    Thanks lazy gardener, I'll defiantly have pole beans, they shall grow up the inner walls of my greenhouse!

10. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma

I have yellow squash in large container. I've grown bush beans before successfully. I also started potatoes one year in December and harvested in March. I have both a raised bed against the house and then various pots and containers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by