What did you do in the garden today?

We picked mustard and collard greens for us
and some Asian mixed greens out for the chickies..
I pulled all the radishes that we're left, and the chickens got those too.

I also harvested part of our Jerusalem artichoke crop. We will be having some scalloped like potatoes tomorrow
and then some mashed like potatoes on Monday.

I really don't know much else besides ,add then to salads like water chestnuts, to do with them.
anyone with any recipes please fell free to share.

I know they have great nutritional vale to Diabetics that is why we started growing them.

We're looking thru older seed catalogs too awaiting our new ones.
But I don't think I will be ordering lots except for beans this year
We collected seed from all our tomatoes
and I have bought some glass gem corn already.
I also came across some packets of trial seed so, Santa bring me a greenhouse so I can start my seeds properly this year by myself and not have to resort to store bought transplants.

I went through all of my old seeds, and organized them. My plan: use up all of the miscellaneous packets of seeds that have been taking up space! I should not have to buy any thing, except for maybe carrot seeds if my germination trials are poor.

I Am far enough south that I can put in a winter garden of the more tolerant plants, so I transplanted Kale and spinach and potted up the lettuce seedlings into four inch pots for the greenhouse. And some tomato and peppers for the greenhouse as well.

Summer is when I can not grow much. Too hot and humid and too many insects and diseases.
Today I will start some beans and yellow squash for the greenhouse. If my seed is still good. My squash seed does not keep long. I get poor germination.

Not sure if this is a totally random question or is in fact part of the gardening subject, but when I read about chickens eating weeds, wouldn't those be the same kind of weeds that enjoy growing alongside our beloved fruits and vegetables?

Has anyone tried growing mushrooms? I'm going to see if I can this year, maybe have them indoors or in the greenhouse, if it's not too warm in there. I'll also be hunting for Morel mushrooms in the spring, they are in my area, and I spotted a patch of them by the river last year, so they'll probably be back next year.

Awesome thread! This is my favorite time of year to garden... no weeding and watering, just non-stop perusing of catalogs and planning to grow way more things than I possibly can or need to. I was literally skipping back from the mailbox with this year's Fedco seeds/Moose Tubers catalog. Trees order got put in last month so I can try doing apple grafts this year. Just add it to the list of things I really have no idea how to do, but attempt anyway.

Check out St Lawrence Nursery in NY! If you like Fedco, and it's my fav. seed co., you'll love St Lawrence.

I do love Fedco and I did my trees order from them this year. I'm always ogling new trees to add to the yard. We just got into our first house last year a month before my son was born and I've been making up for lost time not being able to garden after apartment living for 10 years. I will have to check out St. Lawrence next year as I've already had to hide my Fedco receipts from my wife and I should probably pare down my spring workload since our second bundle of joy is due this spring, lol. But thanks for the tip... some of the best places are a little hole-in-the-wall, especially on the internet.

Not sure if this is a totally random question or is in fact part of the gardening subject, but when I read about chickens eating weeds, wouldn't those be the same kind of weeds that enjoy growing alongside our beloved fruits and vegetables?
Yes! I saw a video of a man in UK that made wire tunnels for his hens to clean out the used beds or the rows between the rows. They tilled, weeded and got the seeds that would sprout next year and the grubs and insects. I will look for that video for you.

I can not find the video, but this is a picture of something like it.
d5fb5cbb1b1b08e1c2f646ed0faa4b4d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom