What did you do in the garden today?

I got to and from work with no trouble! However, on the way home my son called to say he thought he needed to go to the hospital!:eek: He was at the junk yard looking for a starter for his Jeep and apparently sliced his hand pretty good. By the time I got home and called him back, he had managed to get it to stop bleeding. He did end up going to Urgent Care and getting 3 stitches in 1 finger.
About 5 minutes after I got off the initial phone call with him, my daughter calls. She is crying so hard I can't figure out what is going on. Turns out she had just been in a car accident. She's banged up, but nothing serious. The ambulance checked her out and then left.
She was driving down a street and saw a car on her right at a stop sign. Then the guy pulled out in front of her. She tried to swerve but he hit her anyway. Both of her airbags deployed, her windshield is shattered completely and the front end of the car ( think where the license plate is) is V'd in pretty good. She was pretty shook up. She has never been in a car accident before other than when she hit the baby deer a couple of years ago ( and that didn't even damage her car at all!).
Her car got towed. Her boyfriend and I both showed up for emotional support (plus the car she drives belongs to me). The other guy appears to have insurance. The state trooper took a report and we have reported it to the insurance company. We only have liability, so hopefully the other guys insurance gives her enough money that she can buy something reliable! Her car was a 2003 Vibe, so my fear is that she won't get much at all. If they don't total it I will be surprised.
The good news though is that she isn't really hurt ( I'm sure she'll be sore) and her boyfriend had just gotten his son from her car when they met up to meet a new pediatrician, so the 2 year old wasn't in the car with her!
I got home around 8PM ( the time I had planned to be in bed on a work night.) Now, I've eaten and am heading to bed. Good night!!
:hugs

I got to and from work with no trouble! However, on the way home my son called to say he thought he needed to go to the hospital!:eek: He was at the junk yard looking for a starter for his Jeep and apparently sliced his hand pretty good. By the time I got home and called him back, he had managed to get it to stop bleeding. He did end up going to Urgent Care and getting 3 stitches in 1 finger.
About 5 minutes after I got off the initial phone call with him, my daughter calls. She is crying so hard I can't figure out what is going on. Turns out she had just been in a car accident. She's banged up, but nothing serious. The ambulance checked her out and then left.
She was driving down a street and saw a car on her right at a stop sign. Then the guy pulled out in front of her. She tried to swerve but he hit her anyway. Both of her airbags deployed, her windshield is shattered completely and the front end of the car ( think where the license plate is) is V'd in pretty good. She was pretty shook up. She has never been in a car accident before other than when she hit the baby deer a couple of years ago ( and that didn't even damage her car at all!).
Her car got towed. Her boyfriend and I both showed up for emotional support (plus the car she drives belongs to me). The other guy appears to have insurance. The state trooper took a report and we have reported it to the insurance company. We only have liability, so hopefully the other guys insurance gives her enough money that she can buy something reliable! Her car was a 2003 Vibe, so my fear is that she won't get much at all. If they don't total it I will be surprised.
The good news though is that she isn't really hurt ( I'm sure she'll be sore) and her boyfriend had just gotten his son from her car when they met up to meet a new pediatrician, so the 2 year old wasn't in the car with her!
I got home around 8PM ( the time I had planned to be in bed on a work night.) Now, I've eaten and am heading to bed. Good night!!
Wow, rough day for the kids! I hope they're feeling ok today :hugs I've taken that very same phone call from my daughter, it definitely makes your heart clench. Is your daughter old enough to get a rental? If the other guy was at fault his insurance should pay for one. You could always use the rental and let her drive one of your other vehicles if necessary. I hope it all works out ok Karen.

I, like @Acre4Me, use a section of fence for vining plants just held up with a tpost.

I planted onions throughout the garden to help with pests, some dont seem to like onions.

I love to see all the garden plans! My garden is probably going to be drastically different this year as I'm facing back surgery. I'm hoping to do a lot of vining plants so I wont have to bend over, so cukes & squash. & just a few tomatoes. I think its going to be very simple, sadly.

It’s been rainy, and sort of “warm”, so I tried to take soil samples. Clearly some of the deeper areas of the piles are frozen or something. I’m putting the composite samples in the barn to dry out so I can mix them up better before sending them in.

getting some snow today, but not supposed to be a lot. Nighttime temps will be slightly below freezing for several days, so the coop window is opened for extra ventilation. Unfortunately, when the outside humidity is high, it can’t be any lower in the coop! Noticed one cockerel with larger single comb might have frost bite - cold temps and overall high outdoor humidity (85% or higher) isn’t a good combo for single combs!

We have icky snow here. Just leftover from a 3 inch hit we got recently. Now its warm & melting.
IMG_20200125_083535938.jpg

It’s been rainy, and sort of “warm”, so I tried to take soil samples. Clearly some of the deeper areas of the piles are frozen or something. I’m putting the composite samples in the barn to dry out so I can mix them up better before sending them in.

getting some snow today, but not supposed to be a lot. Nighttime temps will be slightly below freezing for several days, so the coop window is opened for extra ventilation. Unfortunately, when the outside humidity is high, it can’t be any lower in the coop! Noticed one cockerel with larger single comb might have frost bite - cold temps and overall high outdoor humidity (85% or higher) isn’t a good combo for single combs!
One of my girls has a bit of frostbite I think. She has the biggest comb and has a few black spots about the size of a pen tip. Assuming frostbite, it was in the single digits most of the week.

Good morning gardeners. Golly @karenerwin, you really had a rough day. So sorry. I haven't grown asparagus myself but may give it a try this year @igorsMistress. My friend whom buys eggs from me grows it. Apparently, the first year you grow it you can't harvest. Wait until the second year and harvest some, then the third year is supposed to be the big harvest. I don't know what happens after the third year. I love asparagus and like leeks, they are a bit pricey at the grocery store. So this makes me want to try raising my own. Yesterday I drove to Boston to get my eyes checked out again. I had an issue with a floater that showed up in early November. Good news, it isn't the type that means your retina is detaching. That's a really good thing to know that I'm not going blind. After 2 days of temps in the 40's, I still have snow on the ground. It's supposed to rain later this morning so perhaps some will wash away. I would really love to start pricing out my new garden bed, but no one sells dirt around here until Spring so I can't get any estimates. I got another email advertisement from Stark Brothers. They have created fruit trees that only grow 2 feet wide and 10 feet tall. Am I the only one that thinks that's just weird? Have a great day everyone. :)

One of my girls has a bit of frostbite I think. She has the biggest comb and has a few black spots about the size of a pen tip. Assuming frostbite, it was in the single digits most of the week.
My rooster gets a bit of frostbite both these past 2 winters. It clears up in Spring. BTW: your little dog is adorable.

Back
Top Bottom