1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No judgement from this corner. I think that if you were to survey (please don't!) the populace of BYC, while you wouldn't find a lot of people who call themselves preppers, what you would find is a lot of people who want to know where their food comes from, want to be as self sufficient as possible, and realize that economic stability could be yanked out from under us at any time. I for one, intend to be as economically independent as possible, and able to put as much food on the table from my own land as possible. I'm working towards being able to can my excess poultry, and develop my land so that at least some of my flock's sustenance comes from my yard. Bartering is a wonderful option, and Uncle Sam is going to be hard pressed to figure out how to tax that one! I'm glad you've found a kindred spirit to share resources and labor with.

2. anac1979

anac1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    Has anyone watched the YouTube videos, Back to Eden Garden?? That guy has some VERY insightful info, aside from all the religious stuff.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    He's a wise gardener. And I find his faith to be refreshing in this cynical world we live in.

4. anac1979

anac1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    FL
    Yes, I love his ideas, have been watching all his videos. I am not religious, but to each his own. He is inspiring nonetheless.

5. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I'm not a prepper in my eyes, I'm just not stupid ( I mean it's totally possible that I will need my knowledge and ability to provide my own food someday) But outsiders looking in, they would call me a prepper I'm sure.... The thousands of seeds and months and months of food we save speak volumes to some. :D

1 person likes this.
  6. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    We dont have "bug out" bags. But we would be ok. We also hoard seeds. We have fish ponds. Clean springs. Chickens. Home brew. And we know everybody around here. We have all sorts of edible wildlife on our land. Oh and I do hoard ammo.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tiller

Tiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Bath Co, Virginia
    Sorted seeds. Ordered more, and will pick up the rest of what I need when spring creeps closer. Finished up my growing room for the year, now it's ready for seed starting. Maybe next year Ill be able to frame up a cheap greenhouse.
    Not a real prepper but living out in the middle of nowhere where I live it doesn't hurt to be ready for a bit of anything. Plenty of meat from a bountiful fall harvest, veggies in cans and freezer from last years garden, backup power if needed a spring for water. A flowing river full of fish out back and a gun cabinet full of meal makers if needed.

8. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finished the new beds, planted somemore garlic, onion, carrot and a few radish seeds from last years seed pods...

9. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Staring out the window at the frozen tundra that will be my garden . Checked my tree and berry seeds that are in the fridge stratifying . Seaberry and Goji are sprouting . Time to pot them .

10. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    What a great idea for garden beds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by