What did you do in the garden today?

Well gang,
I called KHS and got a call back in under an hour. I couldn't believe it... I have had such a hard time in the past. But it gets better... the very nice professional gal at the other end of the phone was in our area and had a trap! They just hired another body yesterday so she is only responsible for 1/2 the island now lol! She set the trap and I will check it and call her if and when we catch a dog. Then reset etc. I am so happy. Thanks gang! That was easy and awesome!!!
Glad you made the call

Help! I'm lost... Did BYC change again or did I somehow get logged on through FB? This was the only thread I was on I could find. It's like weird. Haven't been on in maybe a month so IDK?
And nothing going on in my garden, it's frozen and under snow lol.

Old Folks still there

Good morning all. Good to hear your mother is doing well @karenerwin. Hello there @Beer can. The website changes aren't too drastic. I may opt to start the asparagus from seed. Has anyone tried this?
Asparagus is one veggie I have no experience with so I can't comment on that. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some help.

My Joel and Jan cherry plants came today. They're in 4 inch pots and about 18" tall by my guess. I was honestly expecting dormant plants with dead looking branches. Instead, both plants are obviously coming out of dormancy judging by the small green leaf buds all over them. Now I'm stuck keeping them indoors until fear of frost is completely gone or they'll be shocked. Currently they are on the kitchen counter next to the sink where they can get light from the kitchen window. I'll likely move them to the front south facing windows where they'll get direct sunlight for much of the day. Should I re-pot them? They don't seem root bound, but I'm wondering if they'll be fine in 4" pots for at least two months. Also, I fear re-potting may stress them since they no longer seem to be in dormancy.

My Joel and Jan cherry plants came today. They're in 4 inch pots and about 18" tall by my guess. I was honestly expecting dormant plants with dead looking branches. Instead, both plants are obviously coming out of dormancy judging by the small green leaf buds all over them. Now I'm stuck keeping them indoors until fear of frost is completely gone or they'll be shocked. Currently they are on the kitchen counter next to the sink where they can get light from the kitchen window. I'll likely move them to the front south facing windows where they'll get direct sunlight for much of the day. Should I re-pot them? They don't seem root bound, but I'm wondering if they'll be fine in 4" pots for at least two months. Also, I fear re-potting may stress them since they no longer seem to be in dormancy.

Unfortunately, I have no idea which way to do it! Good luck!!

yup. leave them alone for now. Introduce them to the outside world slowly when we get warm enough.

Drives me bonkers when places do that.
========
Orchard trees getting done tomorrow. We'll be in the high 50s this weekend before we plummet again. I need to trim before they run sap.

I'll get spacers in tomorrow too.
I also need to finish the bathroom tomorrow and friday morning as the plumber is coming friday after two to check my connections and set up the shower fixtures.

I got a hold of a bread trough this week! It's really old and from a local homestead estate. carved in the 1860s or brought here from before that, I don't know. It's so awesome I could cry!
I need to built a cradle for it. I'll scrub it down, clean it, and reseal it with butchers block wax and then she's off and running to making bread!

I also need to make a large dala horse standee for a friends shop opening day. Going to be busy this week. LOL.

Gardening is still too far away.

That's how I feel exactly wthry keep cats out of the loft in their room
it's where we keep their food and cat boxes and dog food toilet paper, kleenex and paper towels our little upright freezer we love cats have two trees... a love seat .. then of course dinner a pot of beans and ham I thawed for dinner made baking powder powder biscuits
003.jpg
006.jpg
002.jpg

I got a hold of a bread trough this week!
I'm jealous! The one time I found one I didn't know what it was at the time. It was huge and looked hand carved. I found out just days later what it was and regretted not buying it. It was at Home Goods. They are like a clearance outlet store (a sister company of TJ Maxx actually that's just focused on home furnishings) so they tend to carry random things as they get their hands on them. I've checked several Home Goods stores since then, but no luck. I'll find another one one day...

The garden, if there is to be one, is soggy, cold and wet, with a layer of ice on it. A feeble grey sun peers balefully through dense clouds, sighs, and moves on. In the house, a couple of optimistic and determined celery plants spring like hopeful phoenix birds from the sodden, dying remnants of two previous stalks, reaching clusters of leaves like eager fingers toward the reluctant sunlight. Those two six-inch tall celery plants and a row of four-inch tall garlic plants outside comprise my garden right now, but in my head the sun is shining and plants abound. In reality, though. I clutch my coat about me against the wet and wind, and mutter to myself, "I'm so cold. I can't get warm. I miss the sun." But there are none to hear me but the chickens. They are warm and comfy in their littlr down coats. Cheerful little buggers. I smile at them, listening to them purr and chatter. Never a complaint from my girlies.. . .I shan't complain either. Blessed birds. I take a deep breath, taste the crosp, cold air. And it feels like I am flying.

So that makes two of us... I am just going to keep it watered and try to get it sun light. Here's a pic. My phone was charging earlier and I was on the computer instead.

View attachment 2014408
Keep growing it indoors, and don't need to re-pot. You can take it outside when all other trees look like buds are sprouted, and leaves starting to grow.

Back
Top Bottom