What did you do in the garden today?

You guys are on 3 acres with woods right? I'd pick a sunny spot and toss out the seeds and water. With a lot of wildflowers you practically don't need to actually plant the seeds.
The wild flowers I had in my herb garden last year I just tossed the seeds in. They were colorful and fun due to the randomness.

:) that's how I like to plant them too. Reminds me a lot of the fallow fields from my childhood.
I didn’t realize how many flowers I really do have until I started listing them. Good grief, and I left out the Forsythia, lilac, azaleas and roses. Then there’s the Heath I planted last fall. No wonder my allergies get into overload.

You guys are on 3 acres with woods right? I'd pick a sunny spot and toss out the seeds and water. With a lot of wildflowers you practically don't need to actually plant the seeds.
The wild flowers I had in my herb garden last year I just tossed the seeds in. They were colorful and fun due to the randomness.
:) that's how I like to plant them too. Reminds me a lot of the fallow fields from my childhood.
Thanks!!! Gonna have to try this!! Should I clear some of the dead grass and stuff out of the way though or just toss?

Most of the existing flowers and flowering shrubs here came with the house. I spent the first summer just observing what was already here. I'm not too crazy about the location of some of those as they are not suited to the location. I have a healthy looking hydrangea that has not bloomed since I've been here. I fed it bone meal and if that doesn't work, I'm replacing it. The only flowers I have planted are some daffodils, zinnias, dahlias and some wildflowers mixed in with my herb garden as well as lavender and mint (only in pots). I have some black-eyed susans that I'll be planting when the ground has warmed up. Also have started some nasturtiums to go into the new vegetable garden bed. The one flower I'm particularly fond of are the day lilies. They are in both the front yard and also behind my main vegetable garden. There are lilies of the valley planted with the day lilies in the front which I'm not particularly fond of since they are toxic. I do like the flowers and am trying to divert a little attention to them now, mainly to develop a strong cutting garden. But my main focus is on the vegetable gardens since that is food for me.
There are good flowering plants that you can eat to that are perennials. Some are even concidered weeds.

I didn’t realize how many flowers I really do have until I started listing them. Good grief, and I left out the Forsythia, lilac, azaleas and roses. Then there’s the Heath I planted last fall. No wonder my allergies get into overload.
I have horrible allergies too. I was getting migraines almost every day until I started taking my allergy pills every day.
You're lucky you can grow all those flowers! I haven't planted any this year but I've been shopping for some seeds for native types. I try to plant for bees as much as I can.

Thanks!!! Gonna have to try this!! Should I clear some of the dead grass and stuff out of the way though or just toss?
Nope that dead grass will shade the seed and the ground. It might regrow along with the flowers too. If not it's good mulch and will feed the soil.

I have horrible allergies too. I was getting migraines almost every day until I started taking my allergy pills every day.
You're lucky you can grow all those flowers! I haven't planted any this year but I've been shopping for some seeds for native types. I try to plant for bees as much as I can.
I have two types of pollinator attracting shrubs. They are two different types of butterfly bush. The one on the side of the house attracts butterflies, bees and hummingbirds. I can’t have a bee hive but I like to have plenty of plants to keep them around.

I have trumpet vines started along with zennia seeds to plant. This year I am concentrating on food for us. Nobody knows how long this corona thingy is going to last.

Today I got edible pod sugar peas in the ground. Temps are in the mid 50s but the wind is gusting to about warp 4 so it feels a lot colder. Looks like I won't be able to get started plants in the ground until next weekend, Friday at the earliest. I transplanted Summer Squash and Butternuts into bigger containers and have more seeds started. We have 29 acres so I doubt if I'll run out of places to plant them....LOL.

Stay healthy everyone. Our families, our flocks, herds, pets and gardens need us!

Back
Top Bottom