What did you do in the garden today?

Anyone else have a huge abundance of ants this year?

I am not the only one in VA that is complaining about this. They are literally everywhere. I just had to use Terro shake granules on my lawn because it is getting out of control. Hopefully we can control it a bit. I do not mind a few ants, but when they are in every single nook and cranny you can see, that is a bit too much for me.

People around here are saying its because out winter never got cold enough and it was above average for temp so they just kept multiplying all year long without having a frost or anything to worry about.
YES!! They are everywhere outside! I've never seen it like this. I went into the garden a couple days ago & they were all over my raised beds, thousands of them. I pointed out to DH a week or so ago all the ant hills in the yard, it was insane. Thankfully they haven't come in the house yet, but they will.

One of the eggs was chirping! Also, one little bit of an eggshell is cracked! Hatching looks like it will commence soon!

Garden looks good, will be watering some later.
How eggciting!!! (I'm so corny, sorry ha!) I want pics!!

I got 4 pullet eggs today! For the first time everyone laid a nice egg, I hope it lasts. That one that was struggling & laying the soft shelled eggs - I'm not convinced she's fixed, she has laid one regular one before but then was back to her 3 hour long struggle to pass a soft shell. I've been pumping her with calcium citrate for days now, I'm hoping she's ok. Her egg was a little sandy feeling & at the same time a bit thin shelled but at least she didn't struggle. :fl

YES!! They are everywhere outside! I've never seen it like this. I went into the garden a couple days ago & they were all over my raised beds, thousands of them. I pointed out to DH a week or so ago all the ant hills in the yard, it was insane. Thankfully they haven't come in the house yet, but they will.

I got 4 pullet eggs today! For the first time everyone laid a nice egg, I hope it lasts. That one that was struggling & laying the soft shelled eggs - I'm not convinced she's fixed, she has laid one regular one before but then was back to her 3 hour long struggle to pass a soft shell. I've been pumping her with calcium citrate for days now, I'm hoping she's ok. Her egg was a little sandy feeling & at the same time a bit thin shelled but at least she didn't struggle. :fl
Yes they are in my raised beds too!

Congrats on the new layers. That IS always eggciting!!! :jumpy:bun

One of my hens did about the same thing and I played the calcium game... and it would work till it did not. Then I wormed her again and she had a load, must not have cleared her with the rest of the flock. She got back on track but I always had to worm her more than the others for what ever reason or she would repeat. :confused:

Last edited:
Only the one little pip so far! But baby chirping from inside the egg.

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 5.19.33 PM.png

Stringing the pole bean structure.

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 5.19.02 PM.png

Congrats on the new layers. That IS always eggciting!!! :jumpy:bun

One of my hens did about the same thing and I played the calcium game... and it would work till it did not. Then I wormed her again and she had a load, must not have cleared her with the rest of the flock. She got back on track but I always had to worm her more than the others for what ever reason or she would repeat. :confused:
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I should probably have a fecal float done, the dog has to go in for his annual anyway.

Back
Top Bottom