What did you do in the garden today?

We had a very abnormal winter. We had ants all winter long! It was ridiculous and now it’s even worse since the hotter weather is here.

I used granules on the big hills I saw so hopefully that helps a bit.
Plain old 20 Mule team borax from the laundry section works too and it's cheaper. It's the same stuff as in the ant sprays, baits, and granules. Ants thinks it's candy, take it home to the nest, share the candy, and die.

Plain old 20 Mule team borax from the laundry section works too and it's cheaper. It's the same stuff as in the ant sprays, baits, and granules. Ants thinks it's candy, take it home to the nest, share the candy, and die.
I’ll remember this. I’ll get some next time I head to the store. We had the granule shake bags already. I still have one bag left I’ll use it tonight. I didn’t want to do the area the dogs walk in yet. I’ll wait till late tonight then it will be good by morning.

I didn’t put it in my chicken yard I did it outside the fenced area. There are no ants where my chickens are. I guess you must’ve had the same kind of winter or what not.
We don't freeze here much anyway, but this past winter was very mild. My artichokes were HUGE, the big leaves near the ground help provide the right environment for the nasty little:rantMy chickens aren't in the garden but they are all around it so better safe than sorry. I moved the artichokes today though.

Rain this morning so I won't have to water the new plants again. Hoping to get the rose of Sharon in the dirt today. Never a fan of working in wet dirt.
Anyone else have a huge abundance of ants this year?

I am not the only one in VA that is complaining about this. They are literally everywhere. I just had to use Terro shake granules on my lawn because it is getting out of control. Hopefully we can control it a bit. I do not mind a few ants, but when they are in every single nook and cranny you can see, that is a bit too much for me.

People around here are saying its because out winter never got cold enough and it was above average for temp so they just kept multiplying all year long without having a frost or anything to worry about.
Have you had larger than usual rain this year? Often times excessive rain will cause ants to look for drier accommodations. This can happen with drier than normal conditions to, but is less likely to drive ants indoors. If this were a problem with over population you would see winged ants, which are fertile females and is the best sign of an ant version of a swarm.

We don't freeze here much anyway, but this past winter was very mild. My artichokes were HUGE, the big leaves near the ground help provide the right environment for the nasty little:rantMy chickens aren't in the garden but they are all around it so better safe than sorry. I moved the artichokes today though.
Yeah you’re right about that. Well we will have a war against ants and I hope we are on the winning end

Rain this morning so I won't have to water the new plants again. Hoping to get the rose of Sharon in the dirt today. Never a fan of working in wet dirt.

Have you had larger than usual rain this year? Often times excessive rain will cause ants to look for drier accommodations. This can happen with drier than normal conditions to, but is less likely to drive ants indoors. If this were a problem with over population you would see winged ants, which are fertile females and is the best sign of an ant version of a swarm.
They’re everywhere outdoors. My house has none inside but I don’t want everything outside infested with ants.

I just found some in my kitchen today, they seem to be looking for water. Probably nesting under the house, it's dry as dust down there. I'll bait under the sink today.
One of the eggs was chirping! Also, one little bit of an eggshell is cracked! Hatching looks like it will commence soon!
When the eggs start peeping my head explodes! So cute! DP really wants to hatch more eggs and I'm tempted but we just don't have the space for more chickens.
Do you have to mix sugar with it?

Good morning gardeners, beautiful weather again today, watering's done, stock is cared for and in celebration of getting the mowing done yesterday I a plan to take it easy today. Can't fill more big pots anyway until I can get more soil and manure picked up. The coir arrived so there's that. I can start re-potting the pitcher plants. Going to have to keep the okra in the greenhouse, the outside temperatures just aren't hot enough, 65 or so during the day and 40s at night. Oh and I picked a bunch of chard this morning. I love chard.
Chard.jpg

I am not the only one in VA that is complaining about this. They are literally everywhere. I just had to use Terro shake granules on my lawn because it is getting out of control. Hopefully we can control it a bit. I do not mind a few ants, but when they are in every single nook and cranny you can see, that is a bit too much for me.

People around here are saying its because out winter never got cold enough and it was above average for temp so they just kept multiplying all year long without having a frost or anything to worry about.
ME!!! :barnieand I am 10 billion miles away from VA. It is driving me nuts (-er)!!! We have the "ghost ants" (teeny tiny clear colored ants that move fast) and they are making nests in my dishtowel drawer, under baskets, cloth napkins... soft fabric type places. I'm chasing nests... can not put out a glass of water for 10 minutes w/o it getting swarmed. They came about a month ago as a trickle that I could not get ahead of for nothing. Never had a problem like this. I will get the Amdro bait traps... if that does not work Iam calling the bug people for sure. I can not handle it. Thank you for your complaint :hmm :p lol

Back
Top Bottom