What did you do in the garden today?

I hear ya, I think pretty much the same thing from August till October. Then it cools off, everybody gets un-miserable and I think having chickens is great and I am a wonderful chicken mom. :rolleyes: The upswing to getting old?
I don't know how you survive the desert, though it does have it's very own beauty and I loved the smell of the, must have been mesquite.
I do love the smell after it rains.

Good morning gardeners. Lots of activity since yesterday morning. I did manage to get the Lowes order cancelled. My "drama" with them lasted two weeks and ended after an hour on hold on my phone. So you were sort of lucky @littledog that yours only lasted a few days. I got the new chicken run nearly completely framed out yesterday. It's a little challenging connecting the frame when you are doing it all by yourself. After taking a good look at the gardens yesterday I've decided to take today and work on that mess. I will be cleaning the coop early today and freshening up the little brooder pen in there so I can move the littles in there while I finish up their mini coop and run. They are 34 days old and feathered out so they can handle the outside temps now. They are also at the disgustingly messy stage so they need to be off my front porch. I'm so sorry for your loss @TropicalBabies. I hope the young roo works out. Our chances for rain are kind of iffy this week so a good watering is in order to be sure. Have a great day everyone and don't play with caterpillars they might be hungry!

Good morning gardeners. I watered and dug up the artichoke, fed the chickens and cleaned their waterers; no soaking wet clothes from sweating either! Now I'm sitting on the patio enjoying a slight breeze with my coffee while dogs wrestle. I'm going to plant the roots in another location and mulch, then I'm done in the garden. My craft and hobby area needs some serious work and I need to brush Walt, he's shedding and looks a terrible mess. Enjoy your day everyone!

Morning all. Today is either day 20, 19, 18, or 17. Either way, we are checking eggs tonight. Marans eggs should be completely blacked out, no question solid at this late. If they are not, I'll sneak to TSC in the morning and MAYBE get her some chicks to slide under. It's never worked before, but I've never tried it on an end of cycle broody.

It depends on the breed there. If there's nothing that comes in that I like, I will just take the eggs and she'll break.

Next broody, I'll order eggs.

Winds howled to 40 yesterday. DH trimmed the whole place, took him 3 hours.
I did odds and ends, between the dust and pollen it was hard breathing. I trimmed the invasive trees from the ditch.

I worked on the bike for a while, but had to stop when I ran out of primer and the white paint wouldn't spray properly. So again to HomeDepot. I practically have my own parking space.

Garden toodling along.
Fresh Icecream in the freezer.
HAGDA

Anyone else have a huge abundance of ants this year?

I am not the only one in VA that is complaining about this. They are literally everywhere. I just had to use Terro shake granules on my lawn because it is getting out of control. Hopefully we can control it a bit. I do not mind a few ants, but when they are in every single nook and cranny you can see, that is a bit too much for me.

People around here are saying its because out winter never got cold enough and it was above average for temp so they just kept multiplying all year long without having a frost or anything to worry about.

I am not the only one in VA that is complaining about this. They are literally everywhere. I just had to use Terro shake granules on my lawn because it is getting out of control. Hopefully we can control it a bit. I do not mind a few ants, but when they are in every single nook and cranny you can see, that is a bit too much for me.

People around here are saying its because out winter never got cold enough and it was above average for temp so they just kept multiplying all year long without having a frost or anything to worry about.
Nope. We get them each spring. But they are in normal numbers.
May/June is hatching time for the new brood and they're in search of food, water, and new nest locations.

Nope. We get them each spring. But they are in normal numbers.
May/June is hatching time for the new brood and they're in search of food, water, and new nest locations.
We had a very abnormal winter. We had ants all winter long! It was ridiculous and now it’s even worse since the hotter weather is here.

I used granules on the big hills I saw so hopefully that helps a bit.

Yes, they're terrible! I use permethrin in my backyard because it's ok around the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom