What did you do in the garden today?

Oh, I forgot. I have 3 small yellow squash. I did grab a male flower and attempt to make sure the one with an open flower got pollinated.
Also I read in a book,
image.jpg
that the blossom end rot on the zucchini and squash is caused by a lack of calcium so I’m going to put some of the chickens oyster shell in that part of the raised bed garden and see if it helps. 🤷‍♀️
I ate breakfast so now I’m headed back out to finish cutting grass before it gets in the 90’s!
The book was a Dollar Store find. I figured for a dollar, why not. 😁

I am really liking these "Super Sauce" tomatoes . They are full of blossoms and most of them are loaded with tomatoes , and the size is looking pretty impressive . Here's a few pics , I have fairly large hands .

garden 4.jpg

garden 6.jpg

Here is a pic of the largest "Amish Paste" I have for comparison . Not nearly as many blossoms or tomatoes on these plants as on the "Super Sauce" . Things may change by seasons end but so far Super Sauce are preforming the best for me .

garden 5.jpg

While DH scooped the poo out of the barn, dispatched a few ground squirrels and pulled some buffalo burr, I was out in the shop finishing the canning cabinet.

It is now in the house. I just need to rearrange some shelving units in the basement and put it in the right place. It's all scrap except for the plywood. I didn't have enough 3/4 inch plywood in the right size to make the shelves. So a LOT of sweat, about 5 hours, and $50 worth of plywood.

I think it looks great. Maybe I'll grab some shelf liner/contact paper for over the plywood shelving, but eh, newspaper would work too, probably stay down better than the new contact paper too.

I'll post a picture once I have her moved and filled.

oh and I want some little curtain rods. Maybe we'll sneak out for a bit today.

Frozen homemade custard is in the freezer. No plans for the night.
Might roll the dice on Mondays small chance for rain and cut hay tomorrow.
So cut Sunday and spread it.
Tedd is on Monday and either Tedd or put it in rows Tueday for baling Tuesday night or Wednesday lunch.

We still need to move last year's hay from the shed into the barn so we have room for this year's hay in the shed.

Tossed two Boston squash that were quitters. The cushaw squash are still blooming, setting fruit and the vines are considering world domination.

Oh, my mom was doing much better the next day. They think she was dehydrated. She doesn't remember that day at all.
I'm glad she's alright, dehydration does odd things, probably because water is such a basic need. Wow those tomato pictures were divine!
Easy, scoop out the offending pile and remove the conditions it thrives in. wet and moist. Let it dry, rake it, dry rake it. Stops it in it's tracks. If it's safe to do so you can also toss down some powdered Borax and rake it in. Changes the PH and helps dry it out.
Awesome, thanks! And now a canning question, I've never canned pickled beets before, how long do they need to sit before they're good to use?
Signs of an okra flower @NewBoots. I hope it blooms.
Good luck! Mine have been a bust so far. I might take them out of the greenhouse again and see if they'll develop outside now. Still gets in the 50s at night here.

Morning all, still no real rain here so the watering's done and the livestock seen to. I adjusted (read banged apart with a hammer and wedges) the bottom shelf in the rabbit cage rack so clean up on that one will go much easier. Still need to prune and tie up the tomatoes. Probably make a trip into town for more 3' 1x2 grade stakes. The guys setting things up here last year left us a heck of a lot of them but we've finally gone through them all. Need more canning jars too, the glass weights for kraut arrived and my cabbage is getting bigger every day.

I'm glad she's alright, dehydration does odd things, probably because water is such a basic need. Wow those tomato pictures were divine!
Awesome, thanks! And now a canning question, I've never canned pickled beets before, how long do they need to sit before they're good to use?
Good luck! Mine have been a bust so far. I might take them out of the greenhouse again and see if they'll develop outside now. Still gets in the 50s at night here.

Morning all, still no real rain here so the watering's done and the livestock seen to. I adjusted (read banged apart with a hammer and wedges) the bottom shelf in the rabbit cage rack so clean up on that one will go much easier. Still need to prune and tie up the tomatoes. Probably make a trip into town for more 3' 1x2 grade stakes. The guys setting things up here last year left us a heck of a lot of them but we've finally gone through them all. Need more canning jars too, the glass weights for kraut arrived and my cabbage is getting bigger every day.
Refrigerator ones can be eaten after about an hour, but best after at least 3 days in the fridge.

Canned/preserved ones.. at least a month. They get better with age. :p

Back
Top Bottom