What did you do in the garden today?

The main thing I would be concerned about is Mareks. But I really know nothing about it. If her birds look and act healthy then they should be fine.
Chickens shed it in their dander so even the wind can spread it. Rodents and small birds going from coop to coop can as well.

i’ve dealt with it, it’s the reason I have a very basic coop with only a roost and nest boxes and a small brooder area. It makes the coop easy to clean and get all the dust out with a shop vac once in a while.

Good morning gardeners. Will get caught up later but wanted to post a few pics from the garden this morning. I’m so happy with the xeriscape area! Everything is doing great and the cooler temps are sure helping. We took the pups to the park and the sun was glowing red when we left. Pardon the mess on the patio, I have a few things to put in the shed after doing some work yesterday on the coop yard.
52AD5AD4-C3AA-4D3C-871E-32A7B5114BD4.jpeg
CF2CE351-3929-4360-8EA4-D8AF8CB5EABE.jpeg
7A043A2D-F962-4BB9-8BD5-DFEBE75AA657.jpeg
DFC63216-F88D-4F99-8624-5C3F6ACED9BE.jpeg

That's why I question even bothering with it with not much distance between them.

Eta: Ohh, I just got an email from her, they are vaccinated for Mereks. & Are on medicated feed, which she sends with them.
If your flock hasn’t been vaccinated then you should be aware that the vaccine is leaky.

Here is the one I had my eye on (not the surprise one above) and it was 15.5 lbs!
That is a marvelous harvest and it sure is worth a try on the green tomatoes.
I couldn't find the dog this am, then he finally poked his head out. Guess he was chilly.
That is so cute! What breed is he?
I’m so happy with the xeriscape area! Everything is doing great and the cooler temps are sure helping.
It looks great, is that first one a sage? or lavender?
Today I picked leaves off of my Okra and Hemp plants to feed my rabbits. I was wondering if anyone knew about crops where I harvest the fruit or root and the discarded leaves (or vice versa) can be fed to rabbits.
We always look on line and if the answer seems iffy, we look it up for more opinions. We do give the grow outs some things that aren't recommended for long term feeding since they're time is so much shorter.

We've gotten about an inch and a half since it started raining yesterday so no need to water. :) Nothing much to do in the garden today otherwise, I'll go pick a few more tomatoes later but I'm not in a hurry.

I have a ginormous pot of tomato sauce on the stove that I managed to boil over. I did have a smaller pot going too but after boiling it over as well I decided to add them together and they'd cook down enough that it all fit so now I only have one pot to watch. I started with about 33 pounds of mostly frozen and a few pounds of fresh tomatoes and I've decided I love the frozen ones for running through the mill/grinder best. So much of the clear juice has separated by the time they're all thawed I just dump that directly into the pot and can skip the milling step for it. The house does smell grand though already. Now I'm considering adding at least some of the Italian seasoning before canning. Carefully, since it's got a long cooking down to do but that would give the herbs time to really give their all to the sauce.

during my afternoon break I broke out a camera before I got online, todays theme... volunteer plants with bad timing.

IMG_6709.JPG

Above: a cluster of pepper plants in an area that was densely populated with potted Cayenne Pepper plants. One must have fallen off and rotted into the ground before I pulled out the pots. I might consider trying to save a few and put them in pots for the green house but I already have 11 of them I cut back.

Below: Beans sprouting up all over. These 2nd generation Volunteer beans since the parents were all volunteers.
IMG_6710.JPG

IMG_6711.JPG

IMG_6712.JPG

IMG_6713.JPG

That is a marvelous harvest and it sure is worth a try on the green tomatoes.
That is so cute! What breed is he?
It looks great, is that first one a sage? or lavender?
We always look on line and if the answer seems iffy, we look it up for more opinions. We do give the grow outs some things that aren't recommended for long term feeding since they're time is so much shorter.

We've gotten about an inch and a half since it started raining yesterday so no need to water. :) Nothing much to do in the garden today otherwise, I'll go pick a few more tomatoes later but I'm not in a hurry.

I have a ginormous pot of tomato sauce on the stove that I managed to boil over. I did have a smaller pot going too but after boiling it over as well I decided to add them together and they'd cook down enough that it all fit so now I only have one pot to watch. I started with about 33 pounds of mostly frozen and a few pounds of fresh tomatoes and I've decided I love the frozen ones for running through the mill/grinder best. So much of the clear juice has separated by the time they're all thawed I just dump that directly into the pot and can skip the milling step for it. The house does smell grand though already. Now I'm considering adding at least some of the Italian seasoning before canning. Carefully, since it's got a long cooking down to do but that would give the herbs time to really give their all to the sauce.
Thank you, it’s a sage I transplanted earlier this summer, used to be in my front yard and I don’t think it was getting enough sun out there.

Back
Top Bottom