What did you do in the garden today?

So quick question.....can I put my dead perennial flower stems in my compost? I see y'all put your veggies when you pull then just did not know about flowers.
Other than citrus, avocado, bones (I give those to my chickens), fat, and meat, you can pretty much put any organic matter in your compost. I always cover the kitchen scraps and waste with the garden waste (stems, straw, dry grass clippings) to avoid attracting critters and flies. We also have rabbit litter (not the poop, the poop goes directly into the garden) and the deep litter from the chicken run, the morning poop from the coop poop boards. It all gets added to the compost. When I get a chance, I'll add washed up kelp from the beach (very close to us).

@NewBoots - you have a pretty bunch there! 😍
Thanks! I love their silly butts! I got the breeds I chose for the various color of eggs and that they all look so different. They were so much smaller in that picture and are much bigger now. They are good girls, the best layers so far have been the amber links, the bo, and the ees. The swedish flower hens have stopped laying (light reduction I'm sure) and my beautiful speckled sussex haven't started yet. The sussex are a dual purpose so if I don't get eggs from them by spring I might have to see how they taste. I'd hate to have to do that, they are funny and so smart and gorgeous too. Just went out to give them some scratch (treats) and shove Dotty's rear off the nest box.

Google doesn't lie! :gig

Maybe when they all chill in a few days I'll get better pics & post them on the breed/sex guess board. Doesn't matter what she is, she's the prettiest of them all anyway!

I just went to check on them, 3 were still in a pile in the corner & the Australorp was up on the roost & running around. Shes gonna be trouble, that one!
She could be an Orpington of another color. ??

Edit
Wanna add a pic of my BOs, just cuz they're cute

Attachments

• 3094C710-BCC1-4B3F-8A45-9DE91E6BEA33.jpeg
    3094C710-BCC1-4B3F-8A45-9DE91E6BEA33.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 1
  • BAB4730F-1390-43C5-A2A7-82EBF07A21B7.jpeg
    BAB4730F-1390-43C5-A2A7-82EBF07A21B7.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 1
She could be an Orpington of another color. ??

Edit
Wanna add a pic of my BOs, just cuz they're cute
They are cute! & yea, I'm wondering if she's a mix of a buff & something else like a blue. She may just be a barnyard mutt, lol. Or the breeder told her husband to grab a buff & he grabbed a light color Easter Egger & stuffed it in the box. :gig I know mine wouldn't have a clue what he was grabbing!

I was hoping for a BO for a broody, but with @NewBoots & @Wee Farmer Sarah tossing theirs out of the nest constantly maybe I'm better off! :gig

Back
Top Bottom