What did you do in the garden today?

Fishychix

Crowing
May 20, 2020
NE Ohio
Oh I heard somewhere that avocado was toxic to what seemed like about every animal in the book so I don't risk it. Probably a case of bs (the internet nevar lies :lol:) or one of those things that's just fine as long as it's only once in a while.

Made savory oatmeal for lunch, why did I never try that before? We had it with cheese, avocado, fried tomatoes, and a fried egg. It was much more satisfying than with brown sugar and raisins.
Hmm, savory oatmeal. How do you cook it? I dont know if i can mentally get past it being sweet.

Sueby

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
CT
Morning all. Chilly start here today. I was a bit worried about the littles since they had the option of a heat plate till they came here, but they were fine. I found them in a pile this am. I called my chicken neighbor yesterday & asked her if she thought I should keep them inside, she checked her trusty chart & said they were fine.

Should be a beautiful day then a rainy, dreary week ahead. Not good leaf collecting weather. DH want to just suck them up with the mower & be done, now on top of blowing them in a pile for me instead, I need to let them dry before putting them in bags. :gig But leaves are too good to waste! Been thinking about asking the neighbor for his. DH will kill me, lol.

Do ya'll horde your leaves too or am I the only crazy one? On top of being great for layering the compost pile, they are great to spread on the snow so the chickens will venture out.

I can see savory oatmeal for sure. Seems kind of like grits to me, which are foreign because I'm from New England. I've never once laid eyes on a grit. :lau

I'm rambling...have a great day all.

Fishychix

Crowing
May 20, 2020
NE Ohio
Morning all. Chilly start here today. I was a bit worried about the littles since they had the option of a heat plate till they came here, but they were fine. I found them in a pile this am. I called my chicken neighbor yesterday & asked her if she thought I should keep them inside, she checked her trusty chart & said they were fine.

Should be a beautiful day then a rainy, dreary week ahead. Not good leaf collecting weather. DH want to just suck them up with the mower & be done, now on top of blowing them in a pile for me instead, I need to let them dry before putting them in bags. :gig But leaves are too good to waste! Been thinking about asking the neighbor for his. DH will kill me, lol.

Do ya'll horde your leaves too or am I the only crazy one? On top of being great for layering the compost pile, they are great to spread on the snow so the chickens will venture out.

I can see savory oatmeal for sure. Seems kind of like grits to me, which are foreign because I'm from New England. I've never once laid eyes on a grit. :lau

I'm rambling...have a great day all.
Do you have a bagging mower? It’ll be faster and even better than whole leaves for your compost pile.

CluckerFamily

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Feb 14, 2016
Wisconsin
Got any pics of yours? I'm curious, plus I just love pics. @igorsMistress & I are shameless when it comes to looking for pics. :lau
I had to sprinkle some treats in the run to get some pictures this morning. My flock says thank you for asking for pictures. Here are a couple of the ladies:

Ida Mae was the grey color and as she grew and had her first molt, she started getting more brown in her feathers. The grey stands out more in the sun.
51CEC30A-D265-47CF-B312-C99D9759A63D.jpeg

Eleanor had the same red on her neck that lightened to this:
08335F25-9D2C-4892-BA3E-65DF8C40D4E1.jpeg

Wee Farmer Sarah

Crossing the Road
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
Good morning gardeners. I managed to get a lot of dirt moved yesterday. Will try to do a bit more today. I will likely use some of the dirt pile to top off the dirt in the raised beds, so that will be challenging with the rainy weather that's headed our way. Not complaining, we need the rain. I just did my once in "4 to 5" months curbside pickup order at Tractor Supply. I'll, get that tomorrow. I get my scratch there and I get meal worms for the winter. Laundry is the chore of the day but I think I can get a little bit done in the garden as well. Fingers crossed. I saved two bags of leaves last year @Sueby. I didn't really use them, but they likely composted a bit in the bags. I'll likely throw them on the garden beds to mix with some compost and fresh dirt. Then perhaps fill the bags again for next year. There are way too many leaves still on the trees here so I'm not in a hurry to blow them over the fence into the woods right now. I'm looking at Tuesday and Thursday to can some apples. Not sure what's happening on Friday but there's a snowflake on my weather app for that day. Perhaps I should check the snowblower. Now I'm rambling. Have a great day everyone.

BReeder!

Free Ranging
Mar 12, 2018
Plainfield, IL
My Coop
Good morning gardeners. I managed to get a lot of dirt moved yesterday. Will try to do a bit more today. I will likely use some of the dirt pile to top off the dirt in the raised beds, so that will be challenging with the rainy weather that's headed our way. Not complaining, we need the rain. I just did my once in "4 to 5" months curbside pickup order at Tractor Supply. I'll, get that tomorrow. I get my scratch there and I get meal worms for the winter. Laundry is the chore of the day but I think I can get a little bit done in the garden as well. Fingers crossed. I saved two bags of leaves last year @Sueby. I didn't really use them, but they likely composted a bit in the bags. I'll likely throw them on the garden beds to mix with some compost and fresh dirt. Then perhaps fill the bags again for next year. There are way too many leaves still on the trees here so I'm not in a hurry to blow them over the fence into the woods right now. I'm looking at Tuesday and Thursday to can some apples. Not sure what's happening on Friday but there's a snowflake on my weather app for that day. Perhaps I should check the snowblower. Now I'm rambling. Have a great day everyone.
I love using Fall leaves in the garden. I like mulch them and then pile them on the garden. I'll to them in as needed or just in the early Spring. They have contributed greatly to our soil texture. I have heavy soil full of clay. The leaves break down into humus rather quickly, which helps to keep clay particles from clumping together.

Top Bottom