What did you do in the garden today?

igorsMistress

Crossing the road barefoot.
Premium Feather Member
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
Those ducks are so cute!!!
Still haven’t gotten my seed order or even a confirmation email saying it shipped. Emailed the company yesterday and haven’t gotten an answer to that one either...
What is up with customer service these days?! I didn’t get an email to confirm my order for the ducklings, not hung telling me they were shipped, and barely an answer when I emailed to see if I could add to my order. Really unimpressed with things these days.

karenerwin

Free Ranging
Jun 11, 2013
Cedar Hill, Missouri
Air was still pouring through the socket, so I removed the plate again. poked a hole through the wall to the empty void outside the electrics box and unleashed a huge amount of foam into the wall, which is curing and expanding as we speak. THAT plus the foam gap plate, should do the trick and I will attack the outside with caulk in the next couple of days. I'm tired of being COLD.

I love how handy you are!!

@igorsMistress My plan is to put them in the rabbit hutch turned chicken coop (going to be turned back in to) rabbit hutch. We pulled out the wire floor so that the chickens could easily jump down off the floor "beams" to the ground. Plus we had raised it up so that the bottom is at my waist height. I'm going to put wire back across the floor for now. I know I will have at least 1 female (Momma) and 1 male (baby) but at this point the runt has not been identified successfully yet. So not sure how I will separate them. I don't want any baby bunnies until I want them! :lau So I know I have to separate male and female. Also, if my memory serves me correct, 2 males don't usually get along all that great.
Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that account (any of you that have rabbits).

Today I kept myself busy canning jams! I made 2 batches of Christmas Jam, 1 batch of Pina Colada Jam ( I used a recipe without rum as I don't drink and didn't want to go buy a whole bottle just for that), and 1 batch of Cranberry Orange Pear Jam!
If the Pina Colada is tasty I have enough Pineapple that I can make another batch or 2.
Do they sell rum in those little airline sized bottles? That would be cool if I could find a coconut rum in that size, then I could use it for the jam and probably not have any leftover. I would probably have to buy 2 or 3 of them to get a 1/2 cup worth. But I have friends that would probably appreciate the flavor!

Tomorrow I am going to pick up my 3 year old granddaughter and then head over to my daughter's house. She will have her boy friend's 3 year old son. I am bringing over sugar cookies that I made yesterday as well as frosting and lots of decoration choices so we can decorate the cookies!! I am also bringing a gingerbread house kit (actually 2 of them). We want to see if they will work on 1 together. If not they can each do their own. (If they are interested enough). I'm also bringing a bag of Christmas items ( from the Dollar Store last year) that they can paint. Some are wooden and some are ceramic type. They love to paint so we will see how that goes. I am sure they won't be painted anything like how they are "supposed to be painted"! But it's all about having fun and making memories!!

@igorsMistress do you feed your bunnies commercial rabbit feed as well as give them treats or do you feel like you supplement their food more than that?
Anyone else? Does anyone not feed commercial rabbit feed? I've always fed commercial feed but I was curious about what others do.

igorsMistress

Crossing the road barefoot.
Premium Feather Member
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
It sounds like you have some fun stuff planned Karen, I hope you have a blast with your granddaughter! You can buy almost any alcohol in the the small bottles, locating them may be a problem. We have total wine or something like that here and they sell them. I only know because we get a bottle of eiswein for our anniversary every year there and I’ve seen them.

I feed Oxbow Adult T once daily, at least 2 cups greens per rabbit per day and as much Timothy hay as they want. I limit treats but they get one of these a few times a week: a chunk of banana or a slice of apple, a few grapes, berries, carrots. Greens I mix up but be careful with spinach and kale is iffy, look up the list I can’t remember all the goods and bads right now. I never have given them any of the treats from the store that you can buy, except for these little hay bales with meadow grass and such. They really enjoy them and there aren’t any fruit loop looking things in them. I found them at walmart,

Two rabbits the same sex or not may fight if not neutered or spayed. Space can play a big role in that, kinda like chickens. If you have a typical hutch that’ll be ok for one but not two or three so you’ll need a way of housing two more. I’m a huge advocate for more room so might not be your best resource in that regard. I have two rabbits and their total space is about 64 square feet. I keep them in the house on the floor in a pen. I would give them more space if I could and plan to do so whenever the hell my daughter gets her act together and gets her own place.

Sueby

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
CT
Has anyone heard from Compost King? He doesnt seem to have posted in over a month now. I checked with the bunny thread but its not very active right now.
I was thinking about @Compost King just yesterday too, wondering where he's been! Maybe he gets emails when tagged...

@karenerwin those jams sound delish, I'm always on the hunt for new flavors for my annual Christmas Jams. That orange one sounds good, I will have to google it & add that to my list! The kids are going to love doing all the crafts you're bringing!

Morning all. Nothing happening around here, I think my lettuce might be done, we had a good frost last night. It finally looks like the littles have recovered from Cocci & the suspected bacteria infection after. I'm SOOOO glad I stocked up the chicken medicine cabinet over the summer!

Have a good one all.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Have you fried them in bacon fat? 🤤

Yum - every Thanksgiving, bacon (cut into small pieces), cooked in a cast iron skillet. Add halved Brussel sprouts. Cook till browned somewhat, still a slight bit of crunch. Yum! Even the kid will eat them.

However, this year kid says, "I don't like Brussel Sprouts". Me: "Hmm, you've said you liked them in the past". Kid: repeat above. Me: "But, you don't hate them, you just don't prefer them...". Kid: rolls eyes and says nothing. Me to spouse: "Maybe we should boil some Brussel Sprouts so kid can have some kind of reference for how much they do or don't like the ones quick cooked in pan with bacon". Kid: dirty look to parents, followed by rolled eyes. Might have to boil some Brussel Sprouts, what do you think? Kid is early teen, not a young kid - the boiled Brussel Sprouts experience might scar a young kid :lau

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
@Acre4Me - getting hammered with the snow? I'm jealous. I was so sad we took the AC out of the window, it was so stinkin hot last night.
No, not too much snow. A few inches. The worst is the ice on the roads. A huge farm field across the road, level with the road, so wind whips the snow across the road, and it can be pretty treacherous in one direction. Even with little snow, it was pretty bad when I was out driving, which surprised me.

In years past, I've put up that shrinky plastic over every window in my bedroom of this 15 year old house. That's nuts.
Wow - only 15 years old! But, my home (around 40 years old) just had all windows (except 1) and all doors treated same way you did. Last year big storm with high winds. WOW! the wind that entered the house from the gaps! We sealed it up as best we could for the storm, then fixed it this spring. Same as you, one is left scratching their head at the poor job that was done to seal up those windows and doors :rolleyes:. During this last storm this past week, we noticed we are still getting wind coming in a few spots around the door. But, the glass storm door isn't in properly, so some gaps - we need to try to re-seat the door, and/or put up better seals. And wind is still coming through the light switch! So, we will be spray foaming that more next spring.

I ripped out all the fiberglass insulation and filled the gaps with spray foam. I've trimmed it and just need to drag the compressor in and put the trim back up.
We went through a few cans of spray foam!

@karenerwin "Do they sell rum in those little airline sized bottles? That would be cool if I could find a coconut rum in that size"

Yes, they should - my local liquor store is in the Kroger store. They have an entire wall behind register with tiny to small sized bottles of many many things. Coconut run is pretty popular, so I would guess an easy find.

Top Bottom