What did you do in the garden today?

NewBoots

Crowing
Nov 30, 2018
Lakeside, OR
Sweetened condensed milk.......on anything....lol. Oh skip the thing and just go for the SCM.
Same! And here I thought eating a spoonful of SCM was my secret shame. :love I have a pot on the stove right now cooking down some milk and sugar to make my own. I tried yesterday but it didn't get anywhere near thick enough so I out it back in a pot this morning to try a little more reducing. We have a spoonful in our morning EG tea.

I was looking in the fridge and there are still leftovers from Thanksgiving, I guess I'll have to give them to the ladies. 2 old ladies can only eat so much and I keep cooking like I had a crowd to feed.

I love snow until it impedes what I want to do. The best snow would be snow that you can see all white and fluffy out your window but that magically vanishes once you step outside. :) Walking in it at night in the bright quiet is nice though.

Wee Farmer Sarah

Crossing the Road
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
Good morning all. Hearing about all the snow makes me feel bad because I haven't had the time to check the snow blower yet. Snow in the forecast for Sunday, so I need to get cracking on that. It was really warm here for a couple of days. I think we are finally drying out from the torrential rains we got on Monday. I've got a small pile of leaves I need to move, then the outside is done completely. My contractor is coming tomorrow to install a new window well for my basement window. My kitchen remodel is on hold until the basement is all dry and pretty. I like brussels sprouts as long as I can get fresh ones on the stem. I've tried getting the loose ones and they are not so good. Freshness matters. I like artichoke hearts, but I prefer them canned or frozen as I do not have the patience to deal with the prep of fresh ones. I'm toying with the idea of trying to grow lettuce indoors this winter. I thought about it last year, but it just didn't happen. Maybe this year.......

NewBoots

Crowing
Nov 30, 2018
Lakeside, OR
I love brussels sprouts and artichokes. Artichokes either steamed and slowly eaten one leaf base at a time with mayo then the heart once you've earned it. Marinated in a salad or pasta, or cut up on a pizza. Canned ones mixed with mayo, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese and then served either hot or cold with pita or crackers. Artichokes are a gift from the gods and if mine do well enough next season I'll try my hand at canning them.

The home made scd turned out even more delicious than the store bought kind (more caramely flavor) so I'll be making ours from now on. Helped put up the wooden Xmas train yesterday. 20201201_132351.jpg
20201201_132426.jpg

And in garden news, the potted camellia is blooming.
20201201_113255.jpg

My mystery new layer is still laying about every other day. Still trying to catch her in the act but I'm sure it's one of the sfh. They're so pretty but such poor layers. I think they'll be going to freezer camp once we can start some new hatching eggs come spring. DP loves incubating and hatching eggs so she's on board with trying a couple of new breeds. Maybe leghorn and/or maren.

I have ducklings! Will post pics later
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

igorsMistress

Crossing the road barefoot.
Premium Feather Member
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
Morning non-garden rant.
The lids on the tubs of laundry pods. DANG it. OC so they've made them child-proof-I get it kids get into stuff that isn't properly stored, and we watch them as best we can, but they're fast and sneaky BUT DANG IT, it's about the most arthritis unfriendly container on EARTH!
As you mentioned, there’s such a thing as proper storage. Let’s not forget discipline and parents NOT ignoring their kids being on their phones. Just sayin.

Top Bottom