What did you do in the garden today?

He’s a beautiful boy! I had considered Rouens also but Runners have always been my favorite. Do you raise them for meat or ?
We get eggs from them and have eaten extra drakes. I want to breed them for further meat production. I need to get a new incubator and plan out a grow out space. I tried letting them nest last year naturally, but they failed to hatch a single egg of their own after several nesting attempts. Maybe they'll have learned by this year.

We get eggs from them and have eaten extra drakes. I want to breed them for further meat production. I need to get a new incubator and plan out a grow out space. I tried letting them nest last year naturally, but they failed to hatch a single egg of their own after several nesting attempts. Maybe they'll have learned by this year.
I hope they figure it out for you. How are they at laying eggs?
I’m not breeding anytime soon but I’ve read that Runners can be a decent meal for two people.

I hope they figure it out for you. How are they at laying eggs?
I’m not breeding anytime soon but I’ve read that Runners can be a decent meal for two people.
The eggs are very abundant in Spring and Summer. The problem e have is they like to find hidden places to nest. There was a nest on a fishing net in a compost bin that left out on accident. A few nests were built in 2-3 ft tall weeds that we let grow for the birds to munch on. Another was tucked against our evergreen tree. We have to have an egg hunt in the yard any time we are not getting eggs because the odds are they built a new nest.

I saw this shared an Facebook by a nearby feed store.
FB_IMG_1611109765239.jpg

The eggs are very abundant in Spring and Summer. The problem e have is they like to find hidden places to nest. There was a nest on a fishing net in a compost bin that left out on accident. A few nests were built in 2-3 ft tall weeds that we let grow for the birds to munch on. Another was tucked against our evergreen tree. We have to have an egg hunt in the yard any time we are not getting eggs because the odds are they built a new nest.
I’m sorry, I shouldn’t laugh. I remember reading that ducks typically lay first thing in the morning and you should leave them locked up until they do to avoid the egg hunt. I don’t know how true that is.

Today was another day for harvesting the last of the Medlar fruits from last year's production. They have to be bletted for the best flavor. Here that is accomplished by allowing the fruits to hang on the tree and then experience a series of hard freezes. The fruit then becomes somewhat mushy and takes on somewhat of a flavor of cinnamon apple sauce. Shared some with a friend today and he took some home to his wife as it is a fruit that most people never experience eating ever. I believe it was first introduced into Greece about 700 BC so it has been in cultivation for many, many centuries. The tree is attractive in form and the flowers are a beautiful white with crepe-like petals. Nice to have this incorporated into the landscape as it most always is something that visitors have never seen nor tried as a fruit.

View attachment 2495598

my mother and aunt love them and I do not :oops:

some ducks are about 3 yo when they get serious abouthatching their eggs.

if you have room get some muscovies. they will do better job than incubator. my friend's muscovie duck hatched even peachicks!

some ducks are about 3 yo when they get serious abouthatching their eggs.

if you have room get some muscovies. they will do better job than incubator. my friend's muscovie duck hatched even peachicks!
The problem is sourcing muscovies around here. I initially wanted them, but the feed stores don't carry muscovies and I haven't had luck finding a person within a reasonable drive with them who would be willing to sell ducklings. I could order hatching eggs, but it's costly and risky and I need a new incubator.

Back
Top Bottom