What did you do in the garden today?

Well it's a 6 foot deep 8 foot wide raised NOOK, just the blue area, in our 3 car garage. I call it the shed so DH know's I'm not in the barn, the coop, the garden, the woodshop, or any other of the buildings on the lot. LOL. Before I started calling it the seedling shed, I said I was going to work in the garage. He came looking for me, didn't see me (the nook is around a corner) so he assumed I was elsewhere and locked me out of the house. LOL.

I decided to table the greenhouse project until the Fall. I have to work on the chicken house, and remodel our master bath this spring and summer. That's enough plus the garden and general upkeep of this place for a while.

Today we planted 60ish roots, bulbs, corms, and/or plants! And started some veggie seeds in TP roll seed trays. I. Am. Exhausted.

But feeling very accomplished. And got approval from the other half to do another landscaping/gardening order. :wee

Definitely need mulch, tomatoes, a hanging pot (want to try growing one upside down like I saw online). I'd also like to plant some "pretty things" in the back that ideally won't kill the chickens AND won't be killed BY the chickens. Any suggestions? Or is that a lost cause?

Oh, and we want to fill in an old "fire pit" spot. Even most weeds won't grow there...thinking it's too alkaline? Thinking I'll need to dig out and remove the majority of the ash and then mix in something to amend the soil...any suggestions?

Wow, you got a lot done! :bow

About the ashes, yeah, they can get alkaline fast! Dig as much out as you can, and add anything acidic you can get. Peat moss is good, and so are pine needles and oak leaves. Mix well.

What do you want to do with that spot? That should help you decide what else to put there the amend that soil.

Wow, you got a lot done! :bow

About the ashes, yeah, they can get alkaline fast! Dig as much out as you can, and add anything acidic you can get. Peat moss is good, and so are pine needles and oak leaves. Mix well.

What do you want to do with that spot? That should help you decide what else to put there the amend that soil.
Thanks! I am NOT usually that productive...but it was that or stare at the huge pile of laundry we need to fold...

We really just want some sort of grass/clover/greenery to grow there. We don't have sod in our yard, just a mix of clovers and other random weeds and wildflowers. The bees and chickens prefer it that way (and I do too, honestly!)

And started some veggie seeds in TP roll seed trays.
I need to go make my TP rolls into TP pots. That's on my list of stuff to do this week. It's something to do that makes me feel like it's spring when spring is just peaking at us and laughing.

Another thing I do is rake up thatch for mulch. I'll have piles of that stuff sitting around until I need them. By then it has packed down from the late snows and spring rains and makes a GREAT weed barrier mulch. Since half of our land is fields, I have all I can rake up. Great exercise for the garden muscles.

I need to go make my TP rolls into TP pots. That's on my list of stuff to do this week. It's something to do that makes me feel like it's spring when spring is just peaking at us and laughing.
I made toilet paper roll seed starter pots 2 years ago. They worked out great!

We make a savory pumpkin stew with pie pumpkins. Whenever spouse gets the pick of what is in the freezer, out comes the pumpkin stew. Pies are absolutely delicious, too.
So, ... what is your pumpkin stew recipe?
Seriously...I don’t check this thread for 2 days and I’m 11 pages behind!
That is how I feel every weekend after I finish my 3 12 hour days and have to go back 3 or 4 days to catch up!
Some of the seeds I ordered came in over the weekend! I also need to get out that huge Target bag of seeds that my daughter gave me at the end of the season last year. Hopefully I didn't buy too many things that I would have found if I had only looked in the bag first! :oops: :lau

@Sueby was it you that said you have a pumpkin chili recipe? I would be interested in that too.

A friend dropped off a big box of out of date vegetables from a local grocery store. Parsley, collards, squash, broccoli, and carrots. SCORE! The rabbits and chickens were beside themselves with joy. Got about half the lawn mowed today and should have the rest done tomorrow. The chickens got 2 bags of clippings so they had the best day evar! I checked a planting chart for my area and I can start my tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse so I got 6 yellow pear started and will be adding a metric butt-ton tomorrow. Squeeeeee!

Snap peas, lettuce, chard.jpg

Snap-peas, lettuce, and chard.

Lettuce and spinach.jpg

Lettuce and spinach but the spinach isn't doing much yet. But we'll have temps in the low 60s this week so unless the seeds are duds I should see some action soon. Going to put of the seed tape for carrots and lettuce directly in the front of a couple of the beds this week.

A friend dropped off a big box of out of date vegetables from a local grocery store. Parsley, collards, squash, broccoli, and carrots. SCORE! The rabbits and chickens were beside themselves with joy. Got about half the lawn mowed today and should have the rest done tomorrow. The chickens got 2 bags of clippings so they had the best day evar! I checked a planting chart for my area and I can start my tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse so I got 6 yellow pear started and will be adding a metric butt-ton tomorrow. Squeeeeee!

View attachment 2550040
Snap-peas, lettuce, and chard.

View attachment 2550042
Lettuce and spinach but the spinach isn't doing much yet. But we'll have temps in the low 60s this week so unless the seeds are duds I should see some action soon. Going to put of the seed tape for carrots and lettuce directly in the front of a couple of the beds this week.
What greenhouse do you have?

Back
Top Bottom