What did you do in the garden today?

I should go pick some collards, mine aren't very impressive but there's enough for 1 batch of collards and bacon I'm sure. My romaine lettuce is sprouting now in the greenhouse, just in time too since I've started craving salad again. I got some nice baby lettuces at the store yesterday and I found the tomato based salad dressing (it's an imitation recipe for the one they had at my favorite Mexican restaurant that closed and it's delicious) so I see lots of salad on the horizon.

Oh and here is a pictorial record of Giant Beets vs Chickens:

Beets 1.jpg

Beets 2.jpg
Beets 3.jpg

Beets 4.jpg

This morning there was nothing left but a hollowed out shell of the very top of the root so I tossed them in the compost. Beets are HARD, I am amazed at the destruction my girls wrought.

I should go pick some collards, mine aren't very impressive but there's enough for 1 batch of collards and bacon I'm sure. My romaine lettuce is sprouting now in the greenhouse, just in time too since I've started craving salad again. I got some nice baby lettuces at the store yesterday and I found the tomato based salad dressing (it's an imitation recipe for the one they had at my favorite Mexican restaurant that closed and it's delicious) so I see lots of salad on the horizon.

Oh and here is a pictorial record of Giant Beets vs Chickens:

View attachment 2547682
View attachment 2547683View attachment 2547684
View attachment 2547685

This morning there was nothing left but a hollowed out shell of the very top of the root so I tossed them in the compost. Beets are HARD, I am amazed at the destruction my girls wrought.
Our hens do the same thing to raw winter squash and pumpkin, eating the hard flesh and leaving the skin behind as a an empty shell of what once was a vegetable.

Secret dinosaur infestation? I hear they live in the walls.

Just got finished cleaning and sorting the sprouting shed. The trays needed counted, the cells organized, the seed stock checked. PLUGGED IN the timer and power. (No wonder the winter chestnuts never sprouted.) :lau All of that should have been done two months ago, but I'm just now giving a flying monkey butt about it.
20210227_152653.jpg

I made up 4 batches of seed starter, which filled 6 trays and left me enough to fill another probably 3 or 4. I have room for 6 trays on the shelves.

I'm HOPING to get a green house up this year so I can rotate down from the shed to the greenhouse. The shed area is part of the heated garage, so I can control their warmth a little better by closing the shelves off.

I have NO tomato seeds or onion seeds. NO idea how that happened. Dill, rape, and mustard is direct sown and I have plenty of that.

Besides that, tomatoes and onions is all the edibles this year. I MIGHT do a small stand of decorative corn to sell in the fall at market. We'll see. I have gem and glass blue.

The rest is all native flowers and cutting flowers for market.

Seed catalog from Territorial just arrived, but I'll buy local seed for the veg.

Last year I planted seed and bought plants. I hope not to have to buy plants (twice) this year.

I've been debating whether I wanted to grow fodder beets down the line at some point. You've just convinced me, lol. Sorry if I made you crave collards and bacon. :lau

Oh heck, it's snowing again

I did indeed make collards and bacon with the addition of some left over ham that had been in the freezer almost too long and it was awesome!

As far as the beets go, we only ate a portion of the beets I had planted last year. I have to admit they aren't in my list of favorite vegetables other than pickled and then I love them but how many pickled beets can you eat? And we did eat a ton of the tops off them and since the chickens love the root part of the beets I'll still plant a bunch this season. So many of the vegetables I planted last year ended up as gifts to neighbors and animal feed, I was thinking that too much was wasted but now when the chickens and rabbits are adults and feed is so expensive and fresh vegetables are so good for them, I don't feel that way anymore. Plus I love giving the local folks fresh veg and eggs, and seedling tomatoes when I have extra (food is love, no?), and maybe it makes up for the rather curmudgeonly attitude I naturally tend toward. About the only wasted planting I think I had last year was the bush beans that failed to thrive and the purple brussels sprouts. The chickens loved the sprouts mind you, but they were gigantic plants and took up too much space and time in the beds. Oh and the cabbage but I think that was my fault, I should have harvested them while they were small and healthy, snugs, snails, and worms pretty much ate all of them. Trying the conehead variety this time so we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom