What did you do in the garden today?

As for mosquitos, I sure miss the zillions of bats we used to have. Great mosquito killers!!! had them by the dozens, and now mostly gone because of that white nose disease. I was h appy last summer to see the numbers up to about 13 after several years of only 5-6 bats. Dragonflies are soon to be here to eat up the mosquitos in the day time . .. . not soon enough!! lol

Kids have been trialing listerine as a mosquito repelant; tried siluted vanilla last year. So far each works for a little while, then it seems to stop working. Maybe it works on only certain types of mosquitos????? Just guessing.

Rains arrived last evening, seems to be a long gentle rain. Was supposed to end this afternoon but looks like the forecasters have it extended into all of Monday too.

Yeah rain!!
wee.gif

So no planting until the rain stop.
Try the vanilla or rosemary oil in carry oil such as olive oil (good for the skin). We had a lovely time in Sodus orchards go on forever cabin was right on Lake Ontario first trip I've been on with the kid where he didn't want to come home. The cabin owner has little garden on edge of the lake got green tomatoes and bell peppers fruiting. Here at home we've got three inches of water in yard but I do have my first zucchini started. Stay safe

No willow trees but we've had rain everyday and it's pretty humid hopefully they'll make it...thanks for the advice...I'm pretty sure I have a black thumb...I'm a beginner gardener...and so far it's a live and learn process each year I have a little better luck...tried okra this year and it didn't come up...sugar peas look pitiful...green beans squash zucchini cucumbers look great! Thinking about trying okra and sugar snap peas in the fall...any thoughts?

Well I failed with okra this year, ducks and rot took out my edible pod pea varieties. The secrete to gardening is making mistakes so your on your way to garden mastery. After something like 7 years (not in a row) with a greenhouse I'm going get a butter nut squash, finally!

Now see I've got butternut squash running out of my ears...next year I'm hopein for a greenhouse...the DH has been on the look out for a good deal;)

No willow trees but we've had rain everyday and it's pretty humid hopefully they'll make it...thanks for the advice...I'm pretty sure I have a black thumb...I'm a beginner gardener...and so far it's a live and learn process each year I have a little better luck...tried okra this year and it didn't come up...sugar peas look pitiful...green beans squash zucchini cucumbers look great! Thinking about trying okra and sugar snap peas in the fall...any thoughts?

I do have some thoughts....but can't really say....because I don't know where you are....and gardening is regional.....

I'm in Oldham county KY bout 30 miles south of Louisville KY

Certain varieties of peas do very well in the cool fall weather. A bush type will do well. Beware rabbits love the tender new leaves

Okra does better in the hotter part of the season. You may have time still to plant okra. If you can find a 75 day maturity type. Hint to Okra soak the seeds overnight. When planting just cover with soil, no more than 1/2 inch . We started picking okra yesterday and still have some coming up. Y

Well I failed with okra this year, ducks and rot took out my edible pod pea varieties. The secrete to gardening is making mistakes so your on your way to garden mastery. After something like 7 years (not in a row) with a greenhouse I'm going get a butter nut squash, finally!

Our garden isn't doing that great. It has been so dry and with working all day on my job, plus the new chicken pen I haven't watered enough. It has been very hot and windy and it seems to rain all around our homestead.

I guess I'll start some plug trays for a fall garden. I will have time to water because I am going to retire very soon.

Gonna go the SS office Monday..

Our garden isn't doing that great. It has been so dry and with working all day on my job, plus the new chicken pen I haven't watered enough. It has been very hot and windy and it seems to rain all around our homestead.

I guess I'll start some plug trays for a fall garden. I will have time to water because I am going to retire very soon.

Gonna go the SS office Monday..

I'm so excited for you!! The last month I worked full-time just flew by, unfortunately because they hadn't hired anyone to replace me so I had to dump a lot of work on my friends and give them a crash course on all I was doing. I gave them a ton of notice though, so not my fault!.

Back
Top Bottom