What did you do in the garden today?

hello from England ,I have finally been able to get the garden sorted .moved a lot of plants and have now got 5 beds nearly ready for veg ,just need some more bags of compost .I,ve emptied one compost heap ,very impressed with it ,the other one won,t be ready until next year .Been sorting my seeds ,didn,t realise i had so many ,most of them free with gardening mags so i won,t need to buy any this year .think i,ll make some boxes and plant flowers in them ,got plenty of wood ! putting off getting chickens for a few mths but will get them .

About half the tomatoes have sprouted but none of the Roma’s or San Marzanos. They were planted in soil from a different bag that had been on the porch instead of in the house though so they may need another few days.:fl
I got the daylilys planted did some watering and tried to fill in the holes in the floor of the chicken run. Tried. I dug up hauled several 5 gallon buckets of dirt and I came back to this less than 5 minutes later. View attachment 2561794
I think I’ll try gravel next time....
My San Marzanos were last to sprout.

So sorry for your diagnosis @karenerwin. My DD was initially diagnosed with Lupus, then MS but after 3 years of testing the doctors finally narrowed it down to Celiac's disease. It's taken quite awhile for her to stabilize, but she is doing so much better now and has learned how to manage the disease. Best of luck to you. The warmth is finally here. It was 32F at 6am this morning, it's now already 41F. Yesterday was a celebration of sorts. Two weeks after my second Covid shot I went to the dentist and got my hair cut on the way home. Neither of which I had done since before the pandemic lockdown. Good golly, three inches of hair cut off and it's still really long, LOL! Today I need to bake bread and clean. Yes, starting the Spring cleaning. I'm starting in the sunroom so I thought I should fill the starter pots with soil before I vacuum. Tomorrow I'll take a break and finish painting the wainscoting in the hallway then work on some more cleaning. Between wallpaper removal, exhaust fan installation and the pellet stove running this house is so dusty. As for seed starting, I made a list of what to start first then move on from there. We're still thawing out here. Although the major ice dam is gone from the roof there is still a bit of ice hanging on up there. I can finally see the little garden trolls scattered about the backyard. I'm still waiting for the ice cap in the main garden to melt so I can see my asparagus bed. I'm so looking forward to a few spears this Spring. My excursion on Sunday was fun, went to an Antique shop, then off to a consignment shop. As mentioned in my previous post, no luck finding a sideboard yet but I took pictures of the two tables I bought and some more salt and pepper shakers to add to my collection.
plant table.JPG
new table.JPG

The big chickens on the left are my latest addition. They are Lennox. The shakers between the little chickens and the penguins are cute and the Hummingbird and flower on the top shelf and the little chickens were a Christmas present from DD. This is my baking nook if you couldn't guess from the spices, etc. The stand mixer is just below this shelf. Very convenient.
baking nook.JPG

@karenerwin I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I also don't know much about it, but hopefully it explains some things for you & you get it all under control.

I got notice that my onion sets shipped, yay! I'm all set up to start my seeds, probably Friday (my day off). I spoke to DH about cutting some plastic for my hoops, hoping to get that done this weekend too & get some lettuce planted outside. My inside stuff is still producing, but it's getting tired.

It's so nice out, makes me want to take down all the electric waterers & the plastic on the run, but it's all a trick! :lau

Enjoy your day all.

Last edited:
Yesterday my family went to the store for some more potting soil...and came home with more flowers :lau . So we planted bulbs and corms and seeds the whole afternoon! But hey, better way to keep ourselves entertained than television!

Today, planning to overthink whether my seed trays need watering now that most of the cells have sprouted, then debate planting some clover seed in the patches of the yard that seem a bit bare still. I should probably wait a couple more weeks...but...

On thr bright side, the squash and nasturtium sprouts are looking healthy! Hoping starting them indoors (and planting nasturtiums and marigolds near the squash outdoors) will mean more of them thrive this year. Last year they didn't fare well.

Pics!

Peppers. Notice the sprouts at the bottom. That's the habaneros that finally began to sprout. There's one more today.
20210309_100240.jpg

Here's (bottom to top of pic) brussel sprouts, kale and celery. I am debating on when to thin the celery. Thinking to wait on first real leaves, but even as little seedlings they seem so close.
20210309_100308.jpg

Edit:
I forgot to add an update on the Chicago fig. It's growing well for having just been transplanted from as a sapling a week ago. It has doubled in size.

March 2nd (transplant date):
20210302_214525.jpg

Today:
20210309_101514.jpg

Last edited:
We're renting, technically, so I can't go totally nuts planting flowers outside. I wish I could.

Basil does appear to be coming up. Bloomsdale, aka eternal, spinach taking its sweet time still.
Ask your landlord about annuals? And large potted plant gardens? Mine even allowed me to have potted plants by my porch at an apartment complex.

Renting the basement from family, lol. And my "landlord" is my MIL, and she's... really weird about plants and pots. I've gotten away with pretty much as much as I can at this point, sadly. But I have her few garden beds (just three) set to explode with berries and herbs as the year progresses.
Navigating inlaw/family stuff is tricky. Guess you could look into renting a community garden plot, but it's not the same as flowers you can see from your window.

Back
Top Bottom