What did you do in the garden today?

Pics!

Peppers. Notice the sprouts at the bottom. That's the habaneros that finally began to sprout. There's one more today.
View attachment 2562215

Here's (bottom to top of pic) brussel sprouts, kale and celery. I am debating on when to thin the celery. Thinking to wait on first real leaves, but even as little seedlings they seem so close.
View attachment 2562217

Edit:
I forgot to add an update on the Chicago fig. It's growing well for having just been transplanted from as a sapling a week ago. It has doubled in size.

March 2nd (transplant date):
View attachment 2562222

Today:
View attachment 2562223

And we're moving in June to a totally different state, so I'm keeping everything new mobile for the time being.

The hubby will be home early this afternoon, client's permit application and inspection are going slow because they keep dropping the ball. :idunno Thinking I might be able to wrangle him and his tools to finally build the aeroponic tower.

Welcome to all the new-comers.

Took down the destroyed greenhouse and will return it next week.
I blew a bearing the truck so I need to make that one priority trip to town on Thursday.
I'm heading out to the seeding nook to get the tomato seeds started and water the rest.

I fertilized the property except the area around the house. I'll do that with Scotts. It's been 8 years since it's been fed. LOL. I suppose it's time.

I'll start feeding the orchard trees next week too.

The grass clumps that broke through the mulch in the garden are greener than anything else on the property. LOL. I have 40 bags of mulch on reserve, so that should take care of the garden.

77 today and 50 tomorrow, and insanely windy, again.

Did you know your peppers are perennial? I keep peppers especially habanero and hot peppers for years. In winter they come indoors in a pot in the hydroponic setup.
A lot of methods to keep them indoors over winter and benefit is you harvest in may, or all year if you keep them warm under bright lights.
I know they can be perennial. I've heard future harvest are often not as abundant. Not sure if that's true. There's the matter of having space to keep them though and then hoping you don't bring insects in with them... I'd rather just grow a bunch and can them as pickled peppers, salsa, giardiniera, etc. to enjoy throughout the rest of the year until I can grow them again.

Turned over 2 beds that had “green manure” of rye and winter peas since last fall. Added some sulfur bc pH is too high. Yes, it should be added in fall but we forgot snd it’s a solid 8 weeks before we plant outdoors, so I weighed out a moderate amount based on soil analysis I had done.

the large 20x30 bed had a ginormous amount of peat moss added, as well as some weighed out sulfur. This is the bed with the highest pH, so it needed it. Probably the last year we will add peat moss as we’ve applied it 3x and tilled it in. In the future fall leaves and sulfur (if needed) can be used for pH reduction. Also, we will have compost soon. Not quite enough for everything but good enough for planting holes.

Removed most of the straw from the strawberrry bed so they can breathe and get sun. It’s going to rain and warm up, so I thought they would need to be uncovered. We can cover with a blanket/ drop cloth if needed. Used straw was put into compost pile snd chicken run. The chickens were highly entertained.

chicks got to go outside today for their first visit. Scaredy chicks -had to be herded out the little pop door from the brooder to the littl pen. Adult chickens were interested in checking them out.

marigold seeds are sprouting. Nothing else is, but not expected

Back
Top Bottom