What did you do in the garden today?

I'm pretty sure my fruit trees will be OK... None of them are blooming at the moment.

I used horse blankets to cover my grapes. I also used sheets, towels, tarps, old curtains, shipping blankets, landscaping fabric, milk jugs, and old plastic potting containers to cover my plants. Had to use rocks and bricks to hold everything down since the wind is gusting around 30 MHP.

Pretty much anything I could find.

I left uncovered:

Blueberries
Alpine strawberries
Broccoli
Raspberries
Salad greens
Arugula
Onions
Garlic
Peach, apple, and plum trees (not blooming)
Marigolds

It's supposed to get down to 30 degrees with a 2-3 mph wind. Think those things I left uncovered will be OK? Frost expected but no snow.

I almost cried as the sun went down on this nice day. The winds suddenly picked up, and the temperature dropped suddenly. We will have snow by morning, and then rain all day. :oops:

Our temperature dropped 30 degrees within an hour. It sucks... I am layered up to the gills and STILL cold. It's currently 42 degrees. It was in the low 70s at 2 pm today.

I found some lilac bush suckers way too close to the garage. I pulled several, but I was one handed thanks to just leaving the coop. I’ve been meaning to put some along the gravel driveway. I’ll just have to keep after the spreading.
May I ask what happened to your other hand ?

I got bored earlier and loaded the family in the car to go bum around at two Goodwill stores and Farm and Fleet. We ended up coming home with two gaming rocker chairs for the kids, a bag of onion sets (Gurney's is taking too long in the onions so I'm trying to cancel them), 2 bags of chicken feed, and a 10x10 gazebo with fold out walls and a canopy that can be unzipped and rolled up to let sunshine through. Then I needed a hammer drill to anchor the gazebo to our concrete patio so off to Menards and Home Depot with my BIL to get a hammer drill (sick of renting and narrowing tools so I buy what I need now) and a new lawn mower for BIL and sister. Now I need to go back tomorrow to a hardware store because the bit that I bought with the hammer drill is too short for the tapcon screws.

Moral of the story: getting bored is expensive and leads to a load of work.

Last edited:
How'd everyone do with the cold?

I'm jealous of the size of the rhubarb you get from a nursery. It's not common at nurseries here that I've seen. I planted some bare root (Victoria I believe) and have some more bare root rhubarb (Gladkin's) in shipping to me right now. Bare root can be finicky and don't always take for me. Pure starts with leaves and stalks already forming would be preferred for sure.
I was quite pleased when I saw them. Of course they weren't cheap, but they will make us good jam forever. & they are Victoria - I'm not sure what it means as it didn't say anything on the tag but it's all they had anyway.

Back
Top Bottom