What did you do in the garden today?

There was frost on the grass by the garden this morning. Since it wasn't as cold as the night before, I feel confident that my strawberries will be fine this morning too. I think I'll cover them again tonight as a precaution; still upper 30s forecast.

I don't know where I read it, but it applies:

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Morning all.

Just got a text from the neighbor that she's seen a fox the last few mornings heading into my yard, she think she's got a den nearby & babies. She can't get the chickens, but I wonder if she's looking to. I don't see anything on the camera. :idunno

Looks like the weather is finally warming now, I will finish hardening off the peppers & get them in the ground soon. The squash is looking better & some are even flowering now. Going to hit the garden store on Friday & fill in the missing plants. :yesss:

I'm supposed to get some Brandywines from Gurneys - I'm not sure I should count on that delivery though! To buy more, or not to....

I got the snapdragons in the ground last night but that was about it. Had someone drop by to bist so that cut into my plans.
Hi fellow gardeners, everyone sounds like everyone is keeping busy! I was all day in the garden again myself! Weeding, planting another greenhouse with veggies I have only one half of my large green house to go . Harvested last of red cabbage.I have to wait for June To get my outdoor beds planted. Divided other cymbidium and got 8 this time for a total of 15 plants out of 2 . Will put them in my Japanese garden tomorrow. Had lunch in the gazebo, goaties snoozed near by and olive, my olive Egger killed and ate my friend the fence lizzard that Iived in my compost bins😞. Wasn’t too smart of him to go into the chicken yard. Also I put up a fence trellis for my black berries to grow on. Whew pooped again! I always think I deserve ice cream after a day like today, so tonight is gonna be cookies and cream! View attachment 2666194View attachment 2666197View attachment 2666195View attachment 2666196
Those cabbages are beautiful!
916FD2DD-8B79-42A0-A8A0-5C6B937BB150.jpeg

I’ve also noticed my 3 week old
52ABCC51-F5D7-4048-963D-B0D63B198B5A.jpeg
RIR chicks have a lot of black on them.

2 years ago, I made 3 of the elevated sub irrigated planters in my picture. I think my cost for pine wood at that time came out to less than $50 per planter. I already had a rubber liner from a roof removal, so I did not have to buy a liner. I went with the cheap pine wood, instead of cedar, because my build was more or less a proof of concept build and I did not want to spend lots of money on something that I did not know if it would work well, or not. The current cost of all wood is much higher at the moment, but I expect lumber prices will start to fall later this year.
DH said the fastest way right now to show you have too much excess money, is to drive your truck to your country place, and shoot 9mm rounds for fun at sheets of plywood. LOL (My neighbors to a T)

Butter and cream cheese are softening on the counter for today's baking for tomorrows market.

It's getting to rain over the next 10 days on and off, so I'll mow this morning until lunch.

Thinking of covering the greenhouse floor with stall dry. Hmmmmmm. Can't make up my mind on that.

Morning all.

Just got a text from the neighbor that she's seen a fox the last few mornings heading into my yard, she think she's got a den nearby & babies. She can't get the chickens, but I wonder if she's looking to. I don't see anything on the camera. :idunno

Looks like the weather is finally warming now, I will finish hardening off the peppers & get them in the ground soon. The squash is looking better & some are even flowering now. Going to hit the garden store on Friday & fill in the missing plants. :yesss:

I'm supposed to get some Brandywines from Gurneys - I'm not sure I should count on that delivery though! To buy more, or not to....
If she cannot get to them, then they just smell good. But if you ever free-range, watch out! She knows they are there and will take every opportunity at any time of day to get them. Otherwise, she's looking for mice. :)

I've seen pics all over our town FB page of fox with chickens in their mouths. I don't free range, too many chicken loving critters, free range birds don't last long around here. But I would pay that fox to eat more mice! She's welcome to em ALL. :gig I'd love it if she'd get the chippy driving the dog crazy too. Ha!

Ya. Never the things you WANT them to get.
They showed a fox on the news last night with her three kits climbing out of a storm drain near an elementary school yesterday. "OH how the children love them...blah blah" ARGH Kids will be upset when the rain comes this week and the kits stop showing up, or they venture onto the 5 lane road next to the school at the wrong time.

OK coffee slurpped. Time to mow.

Good morning gardeners. A bit warmer this morning, should be near 70F this afternoon. The wind isn't too bad right now, hoping it stays that way. During my errands yesterday I stopped at a nursery and picked up a large pot of English Lavender. I split it between the two planters by the new chicken yard gate. The one that I had in the planter before had overwintered for two years but didn't come back this year. I think I will move these to my front covered porch to overwinter this year. I was able to find replacement seeds to have on stand-by, however I was only able to find one pack of Lima beans. As of this morning all but one of my grow bags of potatoes are coming up. The white potatoes are taking their time but they are growing. With the warmer temps I'm planning on moving the plants out of the sunroom, finally! The recent rains have moved our area out of the drought conditions to just "dry." Hopefully it stays like this or even improves so I can power wash my siding. Last year I had to stop in the middle of the process because of water restrictions. My orange azalea is developing flower buds and the lilacs are in full bloom right now. And of course the grass is growing like crazy and recovering from the drought. Fortunately @Sueby we weren't really affected by the oil pipeline shutdown here. I had filled my gas tank last week and that should last me nearly a month as I still don't drive a lot. If your coop and run is secure I wouldn't worry so much about the fox. They, like other "predators" do keep the rodent and snake population down. Unlike the neighbors free ranging cats who really only chase the rodents away, they are looking for a meal.

I heard they initiated the restart of the pipeline so things should be clearing up soon. I haven't been out but I know prices went up here, I don't think we had any shortages tho. Not like down south!

She (the fox) can stay all she wants! I much prefer her over the bear. She can't get the chickens, but he sure can.

People don't really have outdoor cats here - they don't last either. I would love a barn cat, but finding one sly enough to survive here would be tough.

Morning all.

My two cents on your tomatoes from Gurneys:
If your worry is based on the funky tracking details (or lack of), that's a result of the shipping method and Fedex's (seems to be their common carrier) SLA on that method. They will arrive in a timely manner (within a week) from the shipped date in my experience. Now the condition they arrive in... that could vary. I received some things that were in great condition and some that were rotting.

Back
Top Bottom