What did you do in the garden today?

Missed 10+ pages and didn’t feel like finishing catching up. Whoever was dealing with blossom rot on squash it’s impossible to avoid here but I go everyday and make sure the dead blooms are removed from the squash and it greatly reduces the amount of rot. Increasing airflow helps too.
Around here the cucumbers, squash, peppers, tomatoes and green beans are all close to being ready. Strung some more cucumbers between storms and other chores but didn’t get nearly anything done because of how muddy it is. I’ll try to get some work in tomorrow but I’ll be going to a plant sale with a family member and I have no clue how long we will be there. Then Sunday some friends are coming over after church. Honestly forgot what having a social life was like with COVID and all that.

Where are you buying your starts? Everywhere I see strawberries sold, they are in bareroot bundles of 25. That would certainly meet the 5-7 plants per person for most families.

I picked up live starts from Walmart and Lowes. However my mom ordered some from Stark Brothers too. None were bare root. The plants we received were all alive. I think I started the season with 15 plants? (Not counting pineberries which is another story). Of those I had -

5 Allstar
5 Quinault
5 Ozark Beauty

Which is a mix of Junebearing and Everbearing. I was hoping for a big batch in the spring and smaller batches until fall but I never got more than 3-4 berries at a time.

I picked up live starts from Walmart and Lowes. However my mom ordered some from Stark Brothers too. None were bare root. The plants we received were all alive. I think I started the season with 15 plants? (Not counting pineberries which is another story). Of those I had -

5 Allstar
5 Quinault
5 Ozark Beauty

Which is a mix of Junebearing and Everbearing. I was hoping for a big batch in the spring and smaller batches until fall but I never got more than 3-4 berries at a time.
Also, strawberries are a perennial crop and most say the first year is not the year to harvest or expect much from them in berries. Next year they might produce better for you.

Omg, it is oppressively hot outside. I made the mistake of walking down to the garden for 15 minutes. My clothes look like I went swimming... They are soaked with sweat. I had to change.

Got some good pictures though... At least the tomatoes, squash, and peppers are happy....

Here's my garlic. Some of the leaves are dead. I think it is ready.... Especially after all this rain. I don't want it to rot.
View attachment 2712698

Grapes are coming along....
View attachment 2712703

Calendula with my yacon plant
View attachment 2712710

Tomato with some nasturtium
View attachment 2712712

Watermelon is blooming
View attachment 2712714

Eggplant too
View attachment 2712715

Dill is almost in on the action
View attachment 2712716

Kohlrabi is finally making progress
View attachment 2712717

Sage is extremely wilted. I think the overwhelming amount of rain and heat are leading to root rot maybe. Same with the blueberries. They are in a raised bed but the soil is saturated. Not good! 😕
View attachment 2712723

Runner beans made it to the pole.
View attachment 2712729

Little Cherokee tomatoes. Really pleased with this plant.
View attachment 2712734

Here's the carrot greens I mentioned before. Lots on top but apparently nothing underneath.
View attachment 2712736

Bushels of squash ahead
View attachment 2712737

Already had 1 ripe raspberry. Incredible. Can't wait for more...
View attachment 2712740

LOTS of peppers... I've got at least 4 or 5 different kinds. Hot and sweet.
View attachment 2712741
View attachment 2712742

cut carrot greens and the roots will start getting bigger. make sure to leave the smallest leaf in the center so that it can grow. repeat as many times as you wish.

Finally did some work in the garden after neglecting it for a week - I discovered my squashes aren't all fails, the zucchini is looking good. The one plant I can always count on consistently!

I'd planned to prune and tie up the tomatoes, but never got to it. I ended up taking every old squash, melon or pumpkin seed I had lying around and just dumping them all in the empty tire beds. I mean, what was I saving them for anyway? Surely out of all of them I will get something, even with a really poor germination rate.

Then I went to check the loofahs and discovered they all died. Waah! We've had so much rain, no big storms but off-and-on drizzle for the past couple weeks, I think the poor things drowned. Their beds were pretty soaked. Now I need to find something else that vines to plant there and grow up over the trellis, since it's pretty late to try to start new loofahs.

I planted a few smaller tomatoes and eggplants, at least all those and the cukes are doing well, and the sunflowers I planted two weeks ago are coming up and looking healthy.

The rest of the time I spent weeding, composting then hoeing between the beds. I have some large sheets of cardboard, so tomorrow I plan to cut pieces to go in between the beds, then dump a thick layer of wood chips on top of that. Should keep the weeds away, at least for this year. And oh yeah, prune and tie up the older tomatoes, I better not forget that again.

Quite a ways back, @tripletfeb was wondering about seeds not germinating in soil that had always done well in years past and I can't remember who answered about possible too-strong compost...I apologize for not quoting, but I've been catching up on many pages and couldn't find that conversation...but @tripletfeb, have you tested your soil? It may be that you've been adding good compost year after year, and now your soil needs some alkaline added. Territorial Seeds sells a soil tester that's not too expensive ($30-$40 when I bought it a couple years ago, it's the kind you use over and over again) that tests for pH, moisture, nitrogen and several other nutrients. It was a big help to me.

After getting my carrot bed all weeded, compost mixed in, soil lump-free, I can't find my carrot seeds! Ugh. I know I have some, they were kicking around every time I was looking for something else. All I have to do is buy another packet of carrot seeds, then I will find them!

almost two inches of rain in three hours here yesterday.
I must feed the tomatoes today. There should be one in there to pick. Now we'll go another week in the mid 90s with no rain.
The storm blew down a lot of the hay so we're hoping that will perk back up for cutting.
We were going to cut tomorrow, but with all that ground moisture it will just try to evaporate up through the cut had and take it longer to dry. So we'll have to wait anyway.

I need to walk the garden with the rake and stir up some small grasses that are coming up IN the mulch I bought. I am so annoyed with this mulch, full of mold, full of seeds, and full of construction debris (foam) and LARGE branch pieces. Major bagged named brand, and STILL no reply from them.

Back
Top Bottom