What did you do in the garden today?

@penny1960 what's your total number now? We've finally slowed down, after months, on the mice. We were easy catching 2-4 a day - we've only caught 1 in the last 2-3 days. We ended up with the wind up ketch trap - those things are great. But we have to drown them after so probably not for everyone. We're in total war here, they're destroying our stuff, so there is no mercy, lol.

I looked up fig beetles. I call them June bugs here. I didn't realize they eat figs though and I have figs growing on my little Chicago Fig tree. I have cheap bird netting hung around the duck pen to discourage climbing critters and hawks. The June bugs get caught it in the netting (3/4" openings maybe) and get really tangled up. I decided to just let them dry out. DW seemed to get a kick out of picking them out and feeding to the ducks. If the sun hits them just right though, it's a beautiful spectacle of shimmering lights. LOL.
Yeah they are pretty. But destructive. A few figs I can tolerate, but the one year rats didn't eat my corn, the fig beetles did. Too bad they are too big for the quail to eat.

I agree with @Acre4Me - def water so it doesn't just blow away.

I didn't have much luck with my straw bale garden this year. It was also the very first spot I got squash bugs. :mad:

Nothing happening here, my back is in bad shape today. I did get my sick bird into the shop where she's in the ac, I was feeling too bad for her outside.

I have a batch of chili on the stove, DH is away for the weekend & I have a girlfriend coming to visit.

@littledog - last year I had a bumper crop of summer squash so I have some ideas. I made all sorts of squash casseroles, squash soup, squash bread, stuffed squash boats, squash fritters/cakes, etc when fresh. But what I did that helped a lot was shred them in the food processor, squeeze the water out then vacuum seal them in 1 or 2 cup packages. Those came in really handy to pull out to throw in a soup (been know to add squash to broccoli soup) or a chili or to pull out & make a squash bread. I just used my last package a week or 2 ago. Great way to hid veggies in foods, lol.
Another great way to use shredded squash is to mix it with eggs, bread crumbs and seasonings to imitate a crabcake or fishcake. You can even refreeze them once they're cooked. I do up a bunch, then take them for lunch ... that is, I did when we were allowed to actually go OUT to work. Working from home is okay, but it sure has gotten OLD!

@penny1960 what's your total number now? We've finally slowed down, after months, on the mice. We were easy catching 2-4 a day - we've only caught 1 in the last 2-3 days. We ended up with the wind up ketch trap - those things are great. But we have to drown them after so probably not for everyone. We're in total war here, they're destroying our stuff, so there is no mercy, lol.
I bought a fre dozen Tom Cat traps they work like a charm load peanut butter I have done away with 52 of them ..
About to go load like 7 take out

Citrus is grafted. If that shoot is from the rootstock it won't give you Meyers. It might give you normal lemons, depending on which rootstock was used. Can you post a photo?

How cold does it get exactly? Citrus can survive temps in the 20
Had a very very late/early work night, and when I finally wandered outside to close the main coop door against the thunder coming about 2am, I was treated to this view of the milky way.View attachment 2813438
Used to be able to see well on outskirts of Salt Lake City, but not anymore. Between the traffic and city lights at night and the combined smokes from multiple states’ fires,…not gonna happen.

Used to be able to see well on outskirts of Salt Lake City, but not anymore. Between the traffic and city lights at night and the combined smokes from multiple states’ fires,…not gonna happen.
Oh, what have I been doing in the garden? NOT paying attention..

Attachments

• C23DCB32-D2FA-4368-8581-528D4DAEF875.jpeg
    C23DCB32-D2FA-4368-8581-528D4DAEF875.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom