What did you do in the garden today?

Got another one of my mystery peppers. I put one of my (known) cayenne peppers next to it. The mystery pepper is half the size.

View attachment 2812565
chile de arbol? I buy them dried, but that smaller pepper looks about the right size and shape. They are a common pepper in Mexican cuisine, and widely available as plants and seeds for growing.

Anybody growing parsnips? I'm struggling to know when they are done. The greens are huge. There's definitely a root developed. I read on one site that the root should be 1.5-2" in diameter at the top when ready to harvest. I've pulled the dirt back and felt the top of the root on one plant - it's may 1.25" in diameter (more like a nice carrot I imagine). Will they become unpalatable, woody, or soft if I just keep letting them grow? I also read somewhere that a frost is good for them. Any thoughts on that?

Guys! I told my husband I may have bought twice as much straw as I needed, and he said, "Double your garden size, then.":th:woot:wee

It shouldn't be a surprise, but I really thought he'd tell me to start small (I don't know, is 17'x14' small?). So now, he will be bringing home more sheets of cardboard to go underneath. I'm thinking of not doing compost under the straw this time to save money.

I was wrong. One more question: Should I water the straw?

Have I thanked y'all for all of your help recently? I am extremely grateful for your kindness in explaining what I should do and why! It really is helping me to realize when I am overthinking!

On a side note, have you ever seen a Blue Jay that is molting it's head feathers? They look ridiculous, and it makes me want to their tiny necks! I don't have any pictures, but I am sure you can look some up (Lesley The Bird Nerd on YouTube has videos about it, too).

The only sadness here, is we lost both of our baby chicks
:hit
I definitely need to start keeping a garden journal.
Yes, its really helpful - especially when you are too hot and tired out from gardening and someone comes in munching something and ask you what it is (variety) and you wont know without looking it up. Also, can keep tabs on which ones are "never again" and which ones to repeat the next year. And for crop rotation too.
Is straw math like chicken math?
I was going to say here "You need a bigger garden"
and he said, "Double your garden size, then."
But, your spouse beat me to it!
Should I water the straw?
Yes, mostly to just keep it down and from blowing away. It will eventually just be matted enough/ heavy enough. But, when light dry and fresh, a good watering is helpful.

I agree with @Acre4Me - def water so it doesn't just blow away.

I didn't have much luck with my straw bale garden this year. It was also the very first spot I got squash bugs. :mad:

Nothing happening here, my back is in bad shape today. I did get my sick bird into the shop where she's in the ac, I was feeling too bad for her outside.

I have a batch of chili on the stove, DH is away for the weekend & I have a girlfriend coming to visit.

@littledog - last year I had a bumper crop of summer squash so I have some ideas. I made all sorts of squash casseroles, squash soup, squash bread, stuffed squash boats, squash fritters/cakes, etc when fresh. But what I did that helped a lot was shred them in the food processor, squeeze the water out then vacuum seal them in 1 or 2 cup packages. Those came in really handy to pull out to throw in a soup (been know to add squash to broccoli soup) or a chili or to pull out & make a squash bread. I just used my last package a week or 2 ago. Great way to hid veggies in foods, lol.

Is straw math like chicken math?
View attachment 2813194
View attachment 2813200
I decided to leave it for now, use the remaining bales as a bit of a border to keep it in, and add more as it settles.

My next garden task is going to be a fence, especially because I parked it right in front of a game trail (probably deer). But I have until planting season to get that figured out.

I definitely need to start keeping a garden journal. AH! It just started raining! I should get everything put away. How's that for timing?
GREAT idea!

Had a very very late/early work night, and when I finally wandered outside to close the main coop door against the thunder coming about 2am, I was treated to this view of the milky way.
20210827_133843.jpg

Back
Top Bottom