What did you do in the garden today?

Looks like a guinea pig cage. What heat source are you using in there?

Yes, it's a 4 ft x 2 ft (approx) small animal cage. I rigged up a MHP (mama hen pad) type of system in the little house. I used bungee cords to hold up the heating pad to the ceiling of the house. The heating pad comes down near the floor on one end so the little ones can snuggle up to it to keep warm. It's like a heating pad cave in there... 😂

Since its going to rain a good bit over the next 1-2 days, I picked the gourds that were hanging off completely dried stems. There are still many out there. We grew 3 types you see here:

1.Birdhouse gourd (with the two rounded portions) top row (far right, far left).

2. Chinese Bottle. These are the two middle ones and one on the right that have a round bottom, but a straight upper portion.

3. Corsican and Peru Sugar Bowl: These are the flat rounded ones - I guess you could cut them in half and uses as a bowl.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 6.04.14 PM.png

We also planted Luffa at the same time, but the luffa has only been flowering for a few weeks, and only now are we seeing green luffa that are immature. So, I don't think we will be getting any luffa at all this year. My guess is that the luffa was shaded out by the other gourds, and it couldn't do much until they started to die back.

Yes, it's a 4 ft x 2 ft (approx) small animal cage. I rigged up a MHP (mama hen pad) type of system in the little house. I used bungee cords to hold up the heating pad to the ceiling of the house. The heating pad comes down near the floor on one end so the little ones can snuggle up to it to keep warm. It's like a heating pad cave in there... 😂
I really like this idea! Please keep us posted on how well it works.

I just looked the Ro-Tel recipe. 1 1/2 CUPS of sugar? Wow. That seems like a lot.
It's too much sugar for sure. When I do it again (and I will) I'll try it with about 3/4 of a cup of sugar. I added some extra vinegar to calm the sweet down some and when I canned it I drained most of the liquid and canned that separately (delicious, I'll drink it with a little vodka and a dill pickle). I also processed it for 10 minutes rather than the 5 minutes the recipe called for. 5 just seems to short.

2 gallons of tomatoes, 4 cucumbers, almost a gallon of green beans, 2 cups of black raspberries, 2 cups of blackberries. My green pepper plant is loaded but I'd like them to turn red, the jalapeños are loaded too.
Lots of apples ready right now and some pears too.
We finally got some rain! ⛈️ I don't think it was much, but it was a blessing none the less.

Back
Top Bottom