What did you do in the garden today?

@Wee Farmer Sarah I watched a cranberry harvest one year on our way out to the cape. I also did the cranberry festival somewhere near Sturbridge. The harvest was very neat to watch, I hope you & DD get to do it next year.

So I canned 30 half pints of the 'Winters Delight Jam' to give as gifts. It's a recipe from Pomona (I love their pectin) & it's low sugar. I'm not sure how everyone will feel about it, but I cringe every time I add 6 cups of sugar to a jam recipe. This one used 2. You can def tell in the texture, but I'm hoping people will like it, we'll see.

That means I'M DONE CANNING FOR THE YEAR! :celebrate :yesss: Putting all the canning equipment away till next season.
View attachment 2868142
I am looking forward to canning before Halloween. I have two gallons of thornless blackberries that are in the freezer from June. I hope to get half or a little more jars of what is in your photo. I enjoyed viewing. 🙂

This happened to me last year, is why I laughed...on the way to an appointment.
You got off cheap, it could have been "time to buy new tires" before Winter. 😉
Nah I've done that tire song and dance way too many times. I put 100,000 miles on my car in three years when I was working. Two sets of tires and three or four flat repairs in that time as well. I was getting oil changes about once a month back then. The worst? I had to get a new transmission. $3400. Oof. Right now, need new brakes, transmission fluid flush, alignment, and a new heat shield on the exhaust line. Should be right around 500 I hope.

Today! We are putting up a temporary fence to keep the neighbor dogs out of the yard. They jumped on the side of my car earlier this week and scratched it up, but we're worried they're also going to dig up the garden at some point.

It is also DHs birthday right around now ish so I have a cake to bake today. I might try to talk him into building another garden box for me to fill, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Evening all.

I was in the kitchen & heard a weird bird noice, went into the spare room to look out the window & check on the chickens & saw a hawk sitting on the gate to the run staring at the littles, drooling (if a hawk can drool). All the big girls were gathered 'round him like they were inviting him to a party. :he I went out to check on the littles in their (very) protected coop & they were inconsolable. They were hiding in the corner freaked out. Why are the big girls so dumb? LOL. This hawk just won't stop, I'm confident in my security, but he just won't stop looking for a way in. He's been here for weeks trying. Argh.

Aaaanyway, got a lot done in the garden, 3 beds put to sleep & the garlic is planted. Brought the bird bath that I use to grow lettuce in the house in, got all the garden decorations put away. I ripped more beans out to cover the garlic with the trellis so the squirrels/chippies won't dig them up. I only have 3 tomato plants & some pole beans left. Also got the bean trellis up for next year, yay! Not sure how well you can see it:

IMG_20211017_130839488.jpg IMG_20211017_130920776.jpg

Now I just need a good frost to get the rest of it done!

Last edited:
Cleaned the whole workshop today. UGH I cannot let it get so gross. It's clean, but I wouldn't eat out there or perform brain surgery. I just had to put a ton of supplies and tool away from numerous projects and blow out the dust from raising the dirty dozen out there. Blech.

I still need to clean the run winter panels and a couple of the windows and install them, but while we are cool at night, it is still in the 70s during the day. I don't want roasted chickens.

I also pulled the last of the tomatoes from the ripening boxes in the basement. Dreges really. So I dug out the cloudy day tomatoes that were 'eh' and seeded them and have those fermenting on the counter. Maybe the rest I'll just give to the hens.

I should dig up a little horseradish soon. We'll see.
I'm hoping the contractors show up and finish tomorrow. We'll see on that too.

We picked so many tomatoes and peppers today. I think I could make 12-15 GALLONS of green tomato salsa.

And I'll have plenty of bell peppers on the freezer. Their weren't a many banana peppers because I thoroughly picked those a few weeks ago. Habaneros are overflowing the garden basket right now and there's a healthy amount of jalapeños too. I've been looking into fermenting peppers in vacuum sealed bags. I'll be doing that very soon with many of these peppers, at least those that don't get turned into salsa

turmeric rhizomes I have in my fridge sprouted:yesss: I am going to plant them in the pots. I have been waiting for them to sprout about 1 year. they are store bought as there are no turmeric rhizomes to buy for planting. the same thing with ginger. I tried ginger once but failed as the pot was small and soil was hard. lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom