What did you do in the garden today?

Yesterday I ordered 6 chestnut trees . Wildlife - human use . I keep trying to get some established in the woods . I have butternut trees established in the woods . Hopefully I will get to see all these trees bear . I have 1 grafted butternut tree near the house that bears nuts and another getting close to bearing age . 6 that are going to take years .

Mom and pups resting quietly this morning 4, 3 dogs 1 female
Awww! What precious puppies. The sweet look on mom's face...such a cutie. Please give her a hug and boop her nose for me.
carrots: just picked about 75% of them, it a lot! Now I need to figure out how to deal with them (freeze, can, something else..). So, any helpful tips, please provide. Note: my family does not like just cooked carrots on their own, so I’m not likely to can a bunch of just carrots.
We don't really like plain cooked carrots, either. They usually end up shredded into salads, put into the crock pot with some potatoes, a pork roast and whatever veggies are ready, made into stews and frozen, then whatever carrots are still hanging around become horse treats. I'm not sure why I even grow them! Except they're fun to grow and tastier than ones from the store.

Garden cleanup is late this year. We had a light frost last night. We still have rutabaga, Brussel sprouts, carrots, mustard, turnips and beets in the garden.

Just pulled out all the bean plants yesterday. Fed some to the chickens, some went into the compost. I got 1 more meal’s worth off the plants. Beets…well, the latest ones planted might not get any bigger, and might not provide us with any roots, but I still have some I can dig up to enjoy. Mustard greens are still being enjoyed, but every day I’m picking a few bunches to feed to the chickens. Turnips, we have 2 kinds growing and will try to wait a little longer before picking them.

carrots: just picked about 75% of them, it a lot! Now I need to figure out how to deal with them (freeze, can, something else..). So, any helpful tips, please provide. Note: my family does not like just cooked carrots on their own, so I’m not likely to can a bunch of just carrots.

cornishX meat chickens- they have aged in the fridge. We removed the backbones and split the chickens to prep for freezing. Today will season and vacuum seal them. Might make chicken broth in the pressure canner with the backbones (a good place to add some carrots).
Carrots dehydrate well and are then easy to drop in winter soups and stews. I pick carrots year round here (under row covers in the winter, from fall plantings).

Dark as 630pm and it's 915am!
It's been raining most of the night and will rain all day.
I checked on a master gardener in the next village over that I gave a cloudy day tomato to to see how it did for him. He loved them too and saved seeds for next year. He used to own a massive plant nursery before he retired, so that's a thumbs up for Cloudy Day.
In for the day, I'll clean the library, sort receipts, and maybe get down to the sewing room, or maybe take the "I'm done with them" books to the bookseller in town and see what follows me home for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom