What did you do in the garden today?

I fed my orchids today and look what I found! I might get a flower! Someone bought these for me in the middle of 2019 as a moving gift. They were flowering when I got them, and I think I got a couple of flowers in late 2019, but they haven't flowered since. I learned about a year later that they need food (duh, they aren't getting many nutrients as a houseplant), and have been trying to keep a consistent feeding schedule. They seem happy about it!

View attachment 2957320
You are definitely getting a flower in the future. It take time, but that beach will grow long and then firm tiny buds that will swell and open.
Our orchid plant here is in bloom right now actually. The second flower took a week to fully open after the bud was fully swelled.
Indirect lighting for a period followed by direct lighting also triggers flowing. Nutrients is necessary too of course.

I start tomatoes at least 6 weeks out. I'm actually doing 8-10 weeks this year again like last year. But at 4 weeks they can still be pretty small. Of course, do what works for you. :)
ETA: Peppers get started early with tomatoes too.
I have a hot house and a greenhouse, so mine take off quickly and I start for sales too and need to be ready for competition with the big boxes, although I am cutting back a little bit this year.

You are definitely getting a flower in the future. It take time, but that beach will grow long and then firm tiny buds that will swell and open.
Our orchid plant here is in bloom right now actually. The second flower took a week to fully open after the bud was fully swelled.
Indirect lighting for a period followed by direct lighting also triggers flowing. Nutrients is necessary too of course.
YUSSSSS!!!! Good to know!

My rotten wenches won't touch Japanese Beetles!

I generally use San Marz for sauce - they grow well here & are hearty.

I am going to look into cloth I've decided. Does anyone have any that they like? Ya'll seemed to not like the stuff you used, lol.

Do squash bugs lay their eggs in the ground? Wouldn't that make netting moot? I wonder about cuke beetles too.

So my sweet MIL sent me an AeroGarden. I'm excited to grow some indoor herbs. It'll be nice to not have to walk out in the snow or rain or hot or whatever to grab some for dinner. We'll see how it works out.View attachment 2957235

Super cold here, I thought my eggs would be frozen by the time I got home from work, but alas no one laid a single egg today. :gig I don't blame them, too cold to do a darn thing.
I should pull mine out and get some stuff going!

I have a hot house and a greenhouse, so mine take off quickly and I start for sales too and need to be ready for competition with the big boxes, although I am cutting back a little bit this year.
How do you hear the hot house? Are you using electric or gas heaters? I've seen some cool ideas for using earth ovens, rocket stores and other wood burning devices. Would be a meet project to cover a greenhouse into a hot house with a bread oven or kiln in the center. If I had the space...

Back
Top Bottom