What did you do in the garden today?

I'm not having a good day.... On top of being sick again (yes, it's Covid. Again.), I just realized that the refrigerator inside my garage is freezing eggs again. These are eggs I typically sell. I just had someone come buy 6 dozen eggs (my daughter who is NOT sick helped them and, yes, she wore a mask) and 3 dozen were frozen solid. I had 9 dozen and 7 18-count out there last night. I don't know how many of the others are frozen too.... Ugh! I don't have the fortitude to deal with this right now.... 😭

I've been on the search for a small refrigerator to put in my sunroom. It's far better insulated than the garage but so far I've been unable to find anything that isn't $500 or more.

why do you keep eggs refregirated in winter?

I have neighbors from albania who know many old tricks. the lady has told me her MIL keeps eggs in wood ash inside the house. that keeps them cool.

Sorted through seeds today. Separated them into Herbs, Flowers and Veggies.
Trying to figure out what I need to get more of and get an idea of what needs to be started indoors by when.
9CCE3E56-9E75-485E-B228-A15AC6B5FBDF.jpeg

59A8F7E5-70FB-4CCF-9633-AA57673B44E1.jpeg

These are 2 bags worth. There were more in a drawer too. I definitely need more tomatoes. I usually end up buying those already started. But I’ll try starting them inside again and see how it goes.
Edited to add: I have 7 types of Basil! 😳 I didn’t even know there were 7 types of Basil. 🤪

I didn't get anything done in the actual garden, instead I worked on one bed in front of the house. Dug up all the blackberries and their roots, trimmed (well, hacked) the azalea and staked it so hopefully it will grow more in its bed and less across the path and front porch. Then I tilled the area and mulched it with wood chips. Looks pretty, instead of its former haunted house state! Postal carriers and delivery people will appreciate the change, for sure. Maybe tomorrow I'll plant the rest of my daffodil bulbs in the newly-cleared spots...

Morning all. Sorry you've got it again @TJAnonymous - I hope it passes quick.

Nothing happening here in the garden - its under a few inches of snow & frozen solid. It's cold out there. Facing a possible Noreaster this weekend, they're saying it could be a storm we talk about for years to come. At least DH will be here this time to help me clean up!

I have to go cull a chicken. The 2nd to the last red I have left, she's going like all the other reds - a reproductive issue. Not looking forward to it, she is the friendliest one, follows me around. 🙁 Poor Green.

-2 here. Clear, sunny, only up to 17 later today. I put a dish of snow in the chicken coop so the birds could eat some it they don't want to go out for water.

I got some pickling lime at the hardware store. If we ever have "too many eggs," I'm going to try water glassing them. I'm hoping we have too many about next September, so I can preserve them for next winter. That's why I *need* more chickens!

I can't even hope to dig anything for another 6-8 weeks, so anyone who is actually moving dirt, please keep posting so I can garden vicariously through you!

Very cold here. Looks like it will be pretty cold for the next 5 days or so. The good thing is that longer periods of cold usually cuts down on the bugs the following season, so those bug larvae and dormant winter forms can die!!

Waiting on last seed order. Will set up indoor greenhouse soon for seed starting in a couple weeks. I’ll start with peppers then tomatoes. The peppers need to be started sooner than last year’s start date- they were fairly small when I planted them in the garden. We got plenty, but I’m hoping for peppers a little sooner this year.

Last edited:
I can't remember who asked about cheap seed starting containers but I saw a guy online who uses solo cups!😊
I use them. I tried to cheap out last year and buy dollar store version, HUGE mistake. They shatter easily after a week of UV exposure. I have solo brand cups that are going on 6 years old, recycle every year. Nice as the dates to do things are right there on the cups with sharpie. LOL

why do you keep eggs refregirated in winter?

I have neighbors from albania who know many old tricks. the lady has told me her MIL keeps eggs in wood ash inside the house. that keeps them cool.
I live in one of those regions where the weather is bipolar. One day it could be 75 degrees (23 degrees C) and then 20 degrees (-6 degrees C) the following day. During the extremes of both summer and winter, my refrigerator doesn't do well to compensate for the shift and frequently freezes everything inside. It is a relatively new and expensive frig so I think the problem is that being in the garage where it is not temperature controlled & insulated is what leads to the problem.

Back
Top Bottom