What did you do in the garden today?

Today wasn't exciting in the garden, I just checked on things. Yesterday though, I harvested winter wheat that I did not intentionally plant. I'm really excited about it. I have more to harvest but I'm saving this batch to grow more.

The horses got the grass part, I'm saving the ears of wheat berries.

Attachments

• 20220514_180738.jpg
    20220514_180738.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 1
Today wasn't exciting in the garden, I just checked on things. Yesterday though, I harvested winter wheat that I did not intentionally plant. I'm really excited about it. I have more to harvest but I'm saving this batch to grow more.

The horses got the grass part, I'm saving the ears of wheat berries.

are they ripe if the grass part is still green? I have no idea when to harvest grains.

are they ripe if the grass part is still green? I have no idea when to harvest grains.
Yes, I checked the berries themselves. They were perfectly ripe according to what I saw in the videos I watched. They popped the same way as everyone else's!

When you are ready to know watch a few videos that show what should happen when the ripe berries pop. It's pretty cool, and not at all what I expected. They have like cheese inside 😂😂

So a while ago I bought some potatoes for planting, 2 weeks ago I put them on the windowsill to grow eyes like the directions said and then cut them last night to plant today. Well this morning they look moldy, are these still ok to plant?? I’ve never done potatoes so I don’t know what to do
Just shove them in the ground, eyes up, ASAP. They'll be fine.

@Acre4Me I have that book and love it

Just finishing the mulching and watering yesterday, and now I weed and wait.

One of my small blueberry bushes has flowers! (All my bushes do actually) this one hasn't blossomed this much before, it is year 3 ;)

**Edit for a question, do the blueberries need anything special now that they are flowing?

Attachments

• 20220515_161250.jpg
    20220515_161250.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220515_161303.jpg
    20220515_161303.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Most herbicides were banned in our area a few years ago. Amazingly, people keep buying house and businesses stay in business.
People grumbled at first, but then realized the weeds aren't the end of the world.
Municipalities still mow and do upkeep, but have gotten away from the ridiculous idea that everything needs to be pristine and perfect lawns.
I understand that, and it would be my approach in many cases. In the US though, the old farts wanted everything clean and tidy and that mentality persists. We’ll get a fine from the city over weeds in our front yard if we’re not on it quick enough.

Good morning gardeners. I had to look at my Ball Canning book, but it’s not the same edition @Acre4Me. You made me look. Lol! I do love mine. I also have 2 copies of the Joy of Cooking and there are a lot of canning and pickling recipes and directions in them as well. The peach preserve and bread and butter pickle recipes are from the Joy of Cooking. But I love the Ball book for the salsa and tomato recipes. Yesterday was perfect. We got just under a half inch of rain but there were plenty of breaks that allowed the dogs to zoom around the yard and barbecue the first ribs of the season. Today is laundry, bread making and planting the summer squash and cucumbers. All that’s left are flower seeds. I’m just about caught up and am looking forward to some projects around the house and making myself a garden hod. Oh, and just when I thought the asparagus was over, this is what I got on my morning rounds a little while ago.
CC7ACFD1-631F-4422-8568-E3D47A072A6E.jpeg

Have a great day all!

Was a busy weekend, I have to go back & catch up.

I had to replant some squash & cuke seeds, the squirrels made such a mess half didn't come up. The beds are all covered now so take that you little rats! :mad:

I got the hoops up over the strawberries - DH is stopping at HD tonight to get some conduit to run along the edges to hold it down & make it easier to pull the netting back. Then that will go on, the plants already have berries.

The plants have all enjoyed the recent heat, everything looks good. Except the pathetic tomato starts. Hopefully they'll catch up, but I think we're going to have some cold coming.

My allergies have kicked into high gear, I'll try & hibernate inside as much as possible for the next month or 2.

More pictures of the epicenter...
View attachment 3109866
View attachment 3109867

I'm a bit bummed about the tree. It was a beautiful, draping dogwood. Now it just looks awkward. DH said at least it fell next to the wood pile... 😂

What confuzzles me the most is that the lightning struck the exact spot where the two main parts of the trunk split into a Y. This conjunction is about 6 ft off the ground. Yet within 20 ft of this tree is a tall metal lightpost and a 20+ ft power pole that has a night time light and a transformer on it. You'd think the lightning would have struck either of those before the tree...

I'm not one to see signs that are just random coincidence but just seems very....weird.
It probably DID hit the post as well and branched off and struck the tree. Lightning also goes for areas of high static water content. But when it comes down to it, it goes where the charge leads it. I hate loosing a good tree though. It's like an old friend.

Back
Top Bottom