What did you do in the garden today?

I have to catch up a bit later - but I went out this am for the usual walk thru & noticed JB damage on the beans so I got out the traps - HOLY COW I was swarmed! :sick I smushed as many as I could but had to grab the wasp spray! They were crawling all over the packages of lure. There must be 50 in the trap in the 10 minutes it's been up. I didn't check the 2nd one. They sure did emerge quick! 2 days ago I saw 1, now there are hundreds.

I guess Patrick (the dog) couldn't dig up & eat all of the grubs, tho he tried.
Do traps expire? My mom gave me some Spectracide bag-a-bug traps that she wasn't going to use in her garden. The packages were unopened but probably 2-3 yrs old.

Anyway I put one up yesterday and it still hasn't caught a single JB. I picked at least 4 off my grapes this morning so I know they are hanging around.

Maybe I should go get new traps....

Some dastardly devil is still eating my carrots from below ground. I've already lost a quarter of my plants already!
wild_zps7b225344.gif

Do traps expire? My mom gave me some Spectracide bag-a-bug traps that she wasn't going to use in her garden. The packages were unopened but probably 2-3 yrs old.

Anyway I put one up yesterday and it still hasn't caught a single JB. I picked at least 4 off my grapes this morning so I know they are hanging around.

Maybe I should go get new traps....
Traps need to be upwind, so the scent is available to lure in the beetles.

I'm behind a couple pages and too tired to go back. Barely slept last night, DD having a rough time with teeth maybe. Growth spurt? Who knows!

Over the weekend DH got two thirds of the run covered and I managed to weed the garden beds and pull up some of the evil puncturevine plants around the yard. Need to yank up more of those, but it had gotten hot so we called it after watering and finishing up puttering. I nipped the suckers off one of my two tomato plants trying to force some upward growth. The other is a cherry/bush variety so I'm letting it do it's thing.

None of the seeds we planted in the little pots are up yet, today is day 7. But we've got a couple of 84ish days so they might germinate with the slightly more favorable conditions.

My plans today involve grabbing a nap every single time I possibly can. We'll see.

Traps need to be upwind, so the scent is available to lure in the beetles.
Thanks... It's kind of hard to tell sometimes which direction the wind is coming from. I'm not sure I can put them upwind from the grapes without being on the property of the medical clinic. Maybe I can put the 2nd bag over there in the corner of their property and see if they notice?

Do you have only Sungolds? If you have other varieties as well those plants are likely a hybrid. It will be interesting to see what you get!
I grow brandywines too - they have never cross pollinated. I've had these sungolds for quite a few generations now.
Interesting fact on tomato pollination . Most self pollinate due to the pistil never growing past the anthers . However some varieties do grow past the anthers . I have tried to cross tomato varieties without success . However I have had accidental crosses occur .
This sounds about right to me! I figured it had something to do with the fact they self pollinate.

Oh thank u for the pic! Yours look amazing! Mine aren't anywhere near showing out of the soil yet but the green stems are going everywhere...hope they ain't dead!
I'm sure they're fine! They do grow all the greens first, then the bulbs.

Nice, rainy day here. I fed the garden today, probably should have waited for the rain, but I didn't think it would actually happen so no I'm telling myself the rain is just watering in the fish emulsion. :gig

Maybe I should go get new traps...
I have no idea! Mine were from last year but they aren't having any troubles luring them in.

As @Acre4Me said they should go upwind. In New England the wind & weather generally comes from the west so I place mine based on that. & then add a couple more randomly for for luck. :lau

Back
Top Bottom