What did you do in the garden today?

Ooooh I can definitely help with this one! I save seeds all the time! The very easiest method I've found is to rinse them thoroughly and immediately after harvesting, dry them for a few days to a week on a paper plate or wax paper, and then store them in PAPER envelopes. I use those little coin envelopes from Amazon. Believe me, I love those little plastic baggies for convenience too but if you don't go through the process of fermenting the seeds to eat up those sugars that mold adores, and drying them perfectly with silica, etc. then the paper envelopes are best because they breathe and allow the seeds to continue to dry if necessary! Next season you can usually pour them into plastic bags if you have leftovers. They will certainly be completely dry by then.
Thank you so much! I bookmarked this so I can find it later when I need it! 🥰

Question: How do you preserve seeds?
I had a Pumpkin and an Acorn Squash that I wanted to preserve the seeds, but they got all moldy and I had to throw them away.
Advice please. Sometimes I get a spectacular specimen and I want to get more like it. :D
From my seed saving book....

20220715_095832.jpg

20220715_095852.jpg

Beware that if you save squash seeds they may be a hybrid if you are growing more than one type. If they cross pollinate the following year you may end up with some interesting hybrids. & not that there is anything wrong with it, just be aware you may or may not have the same squash that you wanted to save.

With that said, I save bean seeds for next year too, but beans don't cross pollinate as easily. I have had the same blue lake green beans for 6 years because I save them in the fall.
That's a good point. I have 2 kinds of squash and 2 kinds of pumpkins. I guess I'll try the saved seeds in their own area and see what happens, lol. :D

That's a good point. I have 2 kinds of squash and 2 kinds of pumpkins. I guess I'll try the saved seeds in their own area and see what happens, lol. :D
I had this happen with watermelon. I was growing red and yellow flesh watermelon. They cross pollinated. Not only did the original fruit turn out mixed but the seeds I saved and replanted got REALLY weird....

I had this happen with watermelon. I was growing red and yellow flesh watermelon. They cross pollinated. Not only did the original fruit turn out mixed but the seeds I saved and replanted got REALLY weird....

lol, Did they taste good still? I had a funky no name crossed volunteer this year that I love and I'm saving seeds from it just hoping it will be similar next year. 😆

Beware that if you save squash seeds they may be a hybrid if you are growing more than one type. If they cross pollinate the following year you may end up with some interesting hybrids. & not that there is anything wrong with it, just be aware you may or may not have the same squash that you wanted to save.

With that said, I save bean seeds for next year too, but beans don't cross pollinate as easily. I have had the same blue lake green beans for 6 years because I save them in the fall.
If you choose carefully you can grow more than one type of squash and save open pollinated seed . Providing you have no close gardening neighbors . the C. Pepo group is the the most common . You can also hand pollinate . C.Moschata is fairly easy thank butternut and Dickinson pumpkin canning factory type . Cushaw is fairly safe . Seed savers is a good resource for seed saving info . I learned a lot from them over the years .

Back
Top Bottom