What did you do in the garden today?

Several weeks ago, I took some cuttings from a beautiful shrub at my dtr's apartment.  Stuck them in water, and it looks like all 3 of them are going to take root.  I have no idea what kind of plant it is.  Grows about 8' tall, very shrubby, multi stemmed,  Very dark green leaves shaped like a skinny maple leaf.  Flowers are dark pink, double, a bit like carnation in shape.  Blooms all summer.

Cool!

Planted a purple butterfly bush. It sat in the pot all summer b/c I just couldn't decide where to put it. It needed to go some where where it's beauty could be appreciated, and somewhere hubby wouldn't mow it down. It now resides at the SE corner of the green house. Far enough away so that snow load coming off GH arch won't crush it, and still within the bounds of the BTE area. Will draw the eye nicely to this corner of the yard.

My late beans.

Are these bean leaf curlers?

Flower buds.

My lufah gourds, some are thicker than my arm and some are almost 2 feet long.

All that green background is Lufah vines

Last edited:
NIce!!!! I've always intended to grow loofah gourds but never got around to it. What will you do with all your loofah? My sis and I used to infuse them with homemade soaps and cut them into nice big soap/loofah cakes for sale.

If I grew nothing much else this year, here at the end I realize I've got a good little crop of Black-eyed Susans...I LOVE this flower and always have. I'm moving them today to where I want them to be and hope they will continue to multiply until I have large beds of them around the house and such.

Between those and intentions to plant plenty of zinnias next season, I should have plenty of color around the house and the perimeter of the garden.

NIce!!!! I've always intended to grow loofah gourds but never got around to it. What will you do with all your loofah? My sis and I used to infuse them with homemade soaps and cut them into nice big soap/loofah cakes for sale.

If I grew nothing much else this year, here at the end I realize I've got a good little crop of Black-eyed Susans...I LOVE this flower and always have. I'm moving them today to where I want them to be and hope they will continue to multiply until I have large beds of them around the house and such.

Between those and intentions to plant plenty of zinnias next season, I should have plenty of color around the house and the perimeter of the garden.

Thanks! The plants are MASSIVE! I have five and they out grew a male kiwi
th.gif
I was going to use them as cloths and or maybe sale some.

Split off chives and relocated several of the BES to different locations. Pulled up the last tomato...a volunteer that had taken over the front flower bed, a huge monster of a plant. Transplanted some strawberries...still getting berries on the ones that have a red flower.

Didn't get my cold frames finished but I have the area cleared now where I want to place them. Got all the nonessential garden tools put up, mended some fence around the garden.

Just end of season chores that niggle at your mind until you get out there and just get them done.

Back
Top Bottom