What did you do in the garden today?

Was a busy weekend here - got all my bulbs planted (200 this year), ripped out a bush that was overtaking some stuff in the front yard. Planted a banana tree (we are in San Antonio, so it's still in the high 80's - low 90's), and had to cut back some of my cucumber and squash plants. I missed out on the $9 knock out roses at our Lowe's Saturday...I wanted to replace all the lame construction grade stuff that was planted before we moved in. I'm hoping that i'll have cucumbers ready in the next couple of weeks. The squash will probably be ready by the end of this week, maybe Monday, and the green beans still seem to have a ways to go. I love, love, love having 2 growing seasons here. Makes me happy to see stuff produce twice.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Clean up continues. Hauling the weedy debris to the chicken run, b/c it's laden with weedy seeds. I'm harvesting a little bit here and there: seeds mostly. flowers for the table. And my super find of the day: enough green beans for tonight's supper. I have my 10 y.o. GD here today. She's got some sort of bug. Eating ok, not terribly sick, just blah with a fever. I'm going to set some seeds aside, and let the GD's design some seed envelopes, then when seeds are cured, they can package some up to give to their parents as Christmas gifts. Both sets of parents are "talking" about starting a garden next year. So, the heirloom seeds, and some "Grammy help" should get them going with a modest garden.

Last edited:
So about 3 weeks ago I bought a few cans of red worms and Put them in my already set up worm bed (an old tote my sister didn't want) and pretty much let them be, just adding food scrapes and keeping it moist (in my limited experience they're happiest if you don't mess with them too much) and today I found 10 egg cocoons!!!! :weee :weee :weee :ya :yesss:

Dang! Check that out! That's cool!

Yeah! Worms are soo cool! I've had worms before so I have a little knowledge of them but I only ever had them while we were on the road (my parents work for the railroad) so they'd suvive fall winter and spring but summer always got them :( they were in a storage compartment on the out side of the RV so the heat from the road and engine always killed them. :/ but now I dont have to worry about that :bun

That's not a very good picture to show this but there's different colors of cocoons, the clear ones are very new and then they get darker from light yellow to almost brown as the eggs develop into baby worms

Last edited:
Dan, cool article about worms.

I had been thinking about ways to improve the orchard. One of the things I'd like to do is introduce worms. Not red worms, but garden worms. I was thinking about doing an experiment: The next time I have a couple of girls around on a rainy day, I plan to equip them with umbrellas and some cans, then send them out to play in the road. The goal: collect as many worms as they can gather. The plan: Put about 25 worms at the base of every other tree in the orchard. So, one of each pair of a particular species would get worms, and the other tree would have none. Then, note tree quality/growth the following year.

Back
Top Bottom