What did you do in the garden today?

They sure do! I trimmed ours 3 times and I gave cuttings rooted and ready to plant to everyone!
I really hate the thought of losing ours...they have been so gorgeous and just thrived in the 2 large concrete containers at our porch!

I feel like the only thing I'm doing is watering every day still...it's awful here.
Same.... Everything is dead and brown. Even the trees are dying. 🙁 We need rain so badly... I'm watering every couple of days. This means every bug and critter is putting a bullseye on my plants since they are the only things still green and alive...

Same.... Everything is dead and brown. Even the trees are dying. 🙁 We need rain so badly... I'm watering every couple of days. This means every bug and critter is putting a bullseye on my plants since they are the only things still green and alive...
Yep...I've never seen it this bad here...we live in the city and the dust flying through the air is like driving on a dirt road!

Yep...I've never seen it this bad here...we live in the city and the dust flying through the air is like driving on a dirt road!
We've had some really hot & dry scorcher summers but I've never seen it this dry so late into the fall. On TOP of a dry summer. This doesn't bode well.... I can't even put out my fall pasture seed because we haven't had ANY rain for TWO months now. 😭 I broke into the winter hay already because my poor horses were starving.

A neighbor told me that if you cut the bottom 2" of a head of romaine off and plant it in soil, it will regrow edible leaves. Anyone ever done this? I plan to get some at the store next time I go shopping. Now I just have to convince DH that romaine is better than iceberg lettuce. That crap is just crunchy water.

you can do that but it will grow less leaves than a new plant. totally agree about iceberg lettuce.

Good morning gardeners. It’s so weird to read about freeze warnings and frost when the overnight lows are in the 70’s for us. Good luck to those of you protecting plants.

The news the other day was talking about La Niña; this would be the third year in a row for it so the rains we got this summer might not have really helped much in the long run. With a warm, dry winter I’m worried about what next Spring and Summer will be like.

We still haven’t decided what to replace the one mesquite tree with. The loss of that tree really messed up the whole plan out there and the whole front of the house seems bare and exposed.

Coffee is ready, gotta get dressed for the park. Have a great day!

Frost this morning, but only patchy. There was more frost a couple days ago.

Cleaning up the garden somewhat. Cutting down tomatoes and peppers and okra. The mustard and kohlrabi look good. The carrots are still in ground, but will be picked soon. We have some friends coming over for a cookout tomorrow and one “loves” carrots, so I’ll let her pick some or all of one of the beds. Still have carrots in four beds!!

We grew fennel this year- it bulbed a bit, seemed nutrients were a bit low. But…. The ROOTS! Shocking how thick and deep!!! I had to pitchfork my way around them and then try to lift up and it was hard!!

Picked at least half of the beets of the fall planting. Left the smallest ones since it will warm up again.

Rant on peas: in the spring they languish…to cold to grow very well, then it’s too hot and they suffer. In the fall, we’ve had better luck…they grew and produced some (not amazing) and now they are getting frizzed pretty well by any touch of frost. So, they are a “Goldilocks” veg: it has to be “just right” for them to produce much.

can't you grow brassicas outside all year round?
Nope, it's too hot in my country, cabbage and broccoli and cauliflower won't grow in the summer. And my father had turned all of our fields into greenhouses. He's a tomato farmer. So we just put everything in a greenhouse. There are barely any insects inside as well.
I'm wondering if your country has a cold enough weather for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom