What did you do in the garden today?

I feel the same about iceberg. My DH and I argue over it all the time because he likes that crap. I get him to compromise and we usually buy green leaf instead.
If only I could get him to eat green leaf lettuce! He likes the cold crunch of iceberg lettuce in his tacos. And to be able to spear it with a fork in salads.

Some sunshine now! Yay! It will feel lovely in the green house. I put some jugs of water in there; all the totes of dirt left from making potting soil were dust dry from sitting there all summer in the heat.

I made a total of 9 hugelkultur trenches in my sandy soil garden. That was a LOT of digging! I'm eager to see how things grow there next season.

It'll be time to plant my garlic and multiplier onions in a week or so. The first time I planted garlic, I did it on November 1 and it did fine. So there's some time yet.

Begging for some quick advice....

In laws came here for a visit & brought COVID. I feel like death, I can barely even move. But we have our first frost warning tonight. Will my spaghetti squash be ok thru a frost? I don't think I have it in me to go pull 15 giant squash right now but I don't want to lose them.

Thanks!

I had a lot of hot peppers ripen up all the sudden, so I made some hot sauce. Feel free to ask about the steps, I like more pictures than words. 😁
83244.jpeg

Orange Spice Jalapeno, Black Hungarian, Caribbean Heat and Armageddon (1.2 million scoville 😜) The main recipe is 10-12oz peppers, 1.5 cups vinegar, several cloves of garlic, half onion, decent amount of salt. Boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, try not to die.
1004221908.jpg

That is a 7" vent fan ran through the cabinets and outside. I would not recomend doing the really hot peppers inside without that.
1008220705_HDR.jpg

Hit puree several times in the ninja.
1004221908a.jpg

Be really careful bottling. I waited for 3-5 days to bottle.
1008220638a_HDR.jpg

1008220652a.jpg

I am going to sell a few 4 packs to cover my bottle/packaging costs, then give away most of the rest. I think the Armageddon is going to be insanely hot, I'm too scared to try it. 😂😂
1008220823a_HDR.jpg
1008220824b_HDR.jpg

In laws came here for a visit & brought COVID. I feel like death, I can barely even move. But we have our first frost warning tonight. Will my spaghetti squash be ok thru a frost? I don't think I have it in me to go pull 15 giant squash right now but I don't want to lose them.

Thanks!
I’m so sorry you got Covid!! I really hope you can begin to feel better soon.

I would pick the squash if it’s going to be a hard frost. But, maybe propping up a frost blanket would be effective (although still takes effort).

Thanks!
Most squash is ok through a frost and will be just fine. It's the hard freeze of 28 degrees for more than two hours they will soften and rot after.
Sorry the crud is in the house.

We use feed buckets. They aren't cheap, but going on 10 years old and look brand new. We have 8 of them. Gamma vittles vaults. Hold whole bags of sunflower, chicken feed, alfalfa pellets whatever. Keeps mice and ants out.
I just switched to the metal cans. Chipmunks and squirrels killed my gamma lids 😡. I spent more on those lids than if I had just bought the metal cans in the first place.

OMGeeze yall kept talking bout frost advisories so went to check the weather and we got one for tonight!
Guess I better do something with what's left out in garden.
So lettuces, kale and stuff will need to be covered right?
Yes you should cover them. I do so when our temps dip to 40-45.

Thanks!
Ugh, so sorry you have the creeping crud! I hope you get better soon. Rest and take care of yourself. Mucinex and chicken broth were my best friends when I had it.

We have a new brooder!!

Talented spouse made this! No lino in the bottom - he bought UV treated Plywood for the bottom bc it has a very smooth and hard surface, but the rest was just reclaimed or scraps. we cut down and re-used the mesh lids from the other brooder for these doors. Opens into the run, and is built to hug one of the poles of the barn. We will install hooks for feed and water, and a hole for the plug ins for light or heat plate. on wheels so we can clean under and behind.
Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 3.23.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 3.23.03 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom