What did you do in the garden today?

Well, I got nervous and so at 12:30 AM I went out and harvested all the jalapeños on the 1 plant, cut 5 more Luffas and brought them inside and took 2 cuttings off of the basil plant.
It’s currently 39 degrees F and reached a low of 34 F around 7:00 in the morning ( at least that’s the prediction).
What do you make out of the luffas? I'm curious.

Frost this morning, but only patchy. There was more frost a couple days ago.

Cleaning up the garden somewhat. Cutting down tomatoes and peppers and okra. The mustard and kohlrabi look good. The carrots are still in ground, but will be picked soon. We have some friends coming over for a cookout tomorrow and one “loves” carrots, so I’ll let her pick some or all of one of the beds. Still have carrots in four beds!!

We grew fennel this year- it bulbed a bit, seemed nutrients were a bit low. But…. The ROOTS! Shocking how thick and deep!!! I had to pitchfork my way around them and then try to lift up and it was hard!!

Picked at least half of the beets of the fall planting. Left the smallest ones since it will warm up again.

Rant on peas: in the spring they languish…to cold to grow very well, then it’s too hot and they suffer. In the fall, we’ve had better luck…they grew and produced some (not amazing) and now they are getting frizzed pretty well by any touch of frost. So, they are a “Goldilocks” veg: it has to be “just right” for them to produce much.
How do you use the fennel? I want to try the bulb in something to see if I like it as I’m not a fan of seed.

can't you grow brassicas outside all year round?

Nope, it's too hot in my country, cabbage and broccoli and cauliflower won't grow in the summer. And my father had turned all of our fields into greenhouses. He's a tomato farmer. So we just put everything in a greenhouse. There are barely any insects inside as well.

Lol regions are so different! I got kale to last through the winter one time, by covering it with row cover. We had a mild winter, and when it thawed in February I went out and picked some. Most of the time, we get feet of snow in NY, I tried to grow kale again the following winter but I guess some mice thought the row cover was a nice home and ate the kale down to the stem. Now I pick it all before the first big snow and freeze the leaves for cooked greens in winter. Much easier and safe from any animals looking to steal. I don’t mind sharing but they ate it all.

How do you use the fennel? I want to try the bulb in something to see if I like it as I’m not a fan of seed.
Sautéed, or roasted - we haven’t made it yet. Also, can add to soup.

So I picked it and cut off the hairy fronds. Put it in the barn while I was still outside. It overpowered the chicks-too-old-for-the-brooder-but-are-still-in-the-brooder-smell. I think it mellows quite a bit when cooked, though.

Frost this morning, but only patchy. There was more frost a couple Rant on peas: in the spring they languish…to cold to grow very well, then it’s too hot and they suffer. In the fall, we’ve had better luck…they grew and produced some (not amazing) and now they are getting frizzed pretty well by any touch of frost. So, they are a “Goldilocks” veg: it has to be “just right” for them to produce much.
There are so many types of peas, you just have to find the right variety.

So I picked it and cut off the hairy fronds. Put it in the barn while I was still outside. It overpowered the chicks-too-old-for-the-brooder-but-are-still-in-the-brooder-smell. I think it mellows quite a bit when cooked, though.
In my country we use the fluffy leaves. And eat them raw. Or in rice or wheat. Other wise we dry it, then make it into a powder and add to stocks and candies. The bulby part is only eaten raw, like in salads or like a snack.

Thanks, I’m going to give it a try before I grow it and see if hubs will eat it

Back
Top Bottom