What did you do in the garden today?

View attachment 3332249

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am thankful for our little gardening & chicken family. I've learned so much from many of you. Thank you all. Sending blessings to you and your families this holiday season. šŸ¦ƒšŸ¦ƒšŸ¦ƒ
Lol- Gobble till you wobble!

Still prepping meal, but on the last two items meant for the oven. Then we gobble!

Finally get to sit down for more than 10 minutes. Ahhhhhh...

Thanks for the tips about sweet potatoes. Now I have to decide: In the garden that gets warm faster, is up on a hill, but has really heavy soil; --or-- the garden down hill that gets any cold air that settles, but has loose, sandy soil.

Suggestions? I have a few months to figure it out. :gig

looser soil would probably be better, you can always mix mulch in with it to improve it's quality. the temperature it's not like it's going to be 20 degrees difference between the two places so soil quality is probably more important, not to mention they like water but not standing water so need drainage, looser soil should drain better, as long as it's not too silty.

Aaron

When I grew them before, it was in the heavy soil garden. That may have had something to do with their utter failure to make tubers. šŸ¤”

The minimum I could order was 20 slips, so I might put some in both gardens to see which works better. I will certainly try @Acre4Me's tip of warming the soil with black plastic. They won't ship until the end of May, so I'll plan to put the plastic down around Mother's Day.

Side effect: I think it'll help kill/stop the weeds.

Hope everyone enjoyed their turkey day! I hung Christmas lights, I won't turn them on for a couple weeks, but had to get them up before surgery. Got the coop cleaned, nest boxes & all, didn't want to let them in it to sleep - I love a clean coop. :lau

Today I'm making some LC bread in the pressure cooker, a cranberry upside down cake, marinating some pork & steak for the smoker tomorrow & chopping veggies for a veggie tray - Thanksgiving prep! Supposed to get some rain. It's warm & humid out there. The birds are eating the last of the broth making remnants, they're happy & hopefully will grow some feathers!

Good morning all, hope you had a good thanksgiving! Daughter had to leave by 4 for work so I spent all day cooking. The potatoes I spent extra for to get organic weā€™re all green so no potatoes. Which is fine, we donā€™t need a ton of leftovers and I made homemade rolls. Today I need to run to TSC for some chick grit, but I might just run to the local shop where I get the pigeon feed I use for their scratch because weā€™re out. I hate going there. Time to get the dogs out for their play and get stuff done, I was up around 0300 but went back to bed until 0700, what a lazy bum

Lots of leftovers. What a problem, huh?

We had homegrown potatoes for mashed, and DH insisted I use white potatoes, not blue. What a stickler for conventional tradition, huh? :gig I want to make some mashed blues; I never have before. Does the color leach out?

I use my Instant Pot to make bone broth from the bones/carcass and I had the brilliant idea of putting the bag of bones in the Instant Pot pan, and freezing it. Now I have a bag of bones that I know will fit in the pot. I'll take the pot out of the freezer when it's solid.

Drizzly day today but good day to piddle around. Still feeling crappy from my procedure, am just so NOT motivated to do anything except lay around. When I stand up or start working I get a headache that just bam it's there. I need to invent some form of gardening from bed method or something. Maybe just turn the bed into a garden? or just go sleep out in the lawn with the chickens, although paco would probably not like that. Getting old, gets really old after a while :D

Aaron

Lots of leftovers. What a problem, huh?

We had homegrown potatoes for mashed, and DH insisted I use white potatoes, not blue. What a stickler for conventional tradition, huh? :gig I want to make some mashed blues; I never have before. Does the color leach out?

I use my Instant Pot to make bone broth from the bones/carcass and I had the brilliant idea of putting the bag of bones in the Instant Pot pan, and freezing it. Now I have a bag of bones that I know will fit in the pot. I'll take the pot out of the freezer when it's solid.
The color doesn't really leech out but the taters can be added to dishes mashed to give it a bit of a hue.

The broth sounds good. Bone Appetit~

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom