What did you do in the garden today?

Have you tried fabric pots? Great oxygen exchange and air pruning is great for abundant root growth.1
I have some. I want the melons to have roots grow through the pot when I plant in the garden.
I'm going to try the plastic mesh baskets lined with paper or maybe the plant based material they use in hanging planters - not sure what that stuff is called it's sort of woody fibers made into a mat.

Yesterday I started 3 varieties of pepper seeds since they take so long to germinate and get going.

My cool weather plants are all about 15 days old. I would really like to get them out of their seedling trays and get them in the ground in a couple more weeks but we will see.

I need to find a big tray to bottom water. I’ve been watering my seedlings over the top and it’s been fine but I’m afraid of displacing the pepper seeds

They sell these bio degradable fabric seedling pots on Amazon...........They can be directly planted in the ground. They cost .12 cents each for a pack of 100.
512rqVH9yBL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
These sound like a good idea, but have you, or anyone in this thread, actually used them? Also, when I clicked on the link you provided it only took me to the main site. I thought it might have taken me to the actual priduct. Thats just an fyi in case you meant it to link to the product.

i finally got my tomatoes started yesterday. almost everything else is doing well already. Except for the verbena that shouldnt have been included in that flat anyway, and something else that I cant remember now what it is. I'll have to find my notebook. Im happy to have a use for all my old fish tank lights, lol! Although im still looking for the other half of the plug ins for several of them. Im really nit sure why the plug in separates like a laptop power cord.
at what point can I use just sun light instead of the LEDs, since I have a limited number?

These sound like a good idea, but have you, or anyone in this thread, actually used them? Also, when I clicked on the link you provided it only took me to the main site. I thought it might have taken me to the actual priduct. Thats just an fyi in case you meant it to link to the product.

i finally got my tomatoes started yesterday. almost everything else is doing well already. Except for the verbena that shouldnt have been included in that flat anyway, and something else that I cant remember now what it is. I'll have to find my notebook. Im happy to have a use for all my old fish tank lights, lol! Although im still looking for the other half of the plug ins for several of them. Im really nit sure why the plug in separates like a laptop power cord.
at what point can I use just sun light instead of the LEDs, since I have a limited number?
Are you asking when you can put your tomatoes outside? You can put them outside full-time when the threat of frost is over. Are you going to plant them in a container or in the ground?

Are you asking when you can put your tomatoes outside? You can put them outside full-time when the threat of frost is over. Are you going to plant them in a container or in the ground?
no, just when I can stop using supplemental light and have these seedlings (herbs & flowers) only in the window so i can use the lights on other new seedlings (tomatoes & eggplant[?, I havent started those yet]).

my last frost date isnt until mid May and I dont usually put the tomatoes out until afterward.

no, just when I can stop using supplemental light and have these seedlings (herbs & flowers) only in the window so i can use the lights on other new seedlings (tomatoes & eggplant[?, I havent started those yet]).

my last frost date isnt until mid May and I dont usually put the tomatoes out until afterward.
The window almost certainly wouldn’t be enough light for veggie seedlings. I don’t know about specific herbs and flowers. Hopefully someone will be able to help

I have two tubs with lettuce seedlings in them. One tub (buttercrunch) is looking ok. The other tub (ice queen) is not so good. When I looked at it yesterday morning, it suspiciously looked like the seedlings were dying. 🤔 We were expecting (buckets of) rain so I put the 2 tubs inside my truck where they could get light but not get flooded by the rain. I'll check them again in the morning and see if they look better or worse. I swear iceberg lettuce hates me.

Back
Top Bottom