What did you do in the garden today?

Speaking of animals, I have a question.

I was out today checking on the tree, checking how much sap I got. I’m noticing that feral cats are going to my garden box I just built and filled, and digging in it.

In my opinion, this is not good. I’m going to be planting peas and onions soon. I don’t want the cats to dig them up and ruin the garden.

What do I do? They can jump pretty high, so I don’t think a fence is an option.

For your information, we have several feral cats where I live.

Any ideas?
I used a million wooden skewers poked in the beds in Alabama. Looked weird, but worked. Hard to squat when a bamboo stick is poking your butt.

Picked my mini Bok-Choy,

Question, can you tell me the difference between regular Bok-Choy, Toy Bok-Choy, and Baby Bok-Choy?

:idunno I just dropped some bills on a small pack of Baby Bok-Choy seeds for Dear Wife, but she said the picture was wrong!? She insists that the Baby Bok-Choy has a green base, not white. I have been reading lots of stuff online, but it seems to me that it's all the same Bok-Choy - just picked at different times.

:caf Also, for anyone on the thread, now that I'm getting more into gardening, I am getting frustrated with things like Bok-Choy which are also called by many other names (Pak-Choy, Chinese Cabbage, etc...) Whatever happened to using Latin scientific names on the seed packs to differentiate between types of the plant? At least with different types of tomatoes, you can see a difference in the pictures (round, roma, cherry, grape, etc...). All the pictures on the Bok-Choy seed packs look the same to me.

Question, can you tell me the difference between regular Bok-Choy, Toy Bok-Choy, and Baby Bok-Choy?

:idunno I just dropped some bills on a small pack of Baby Bok-Choy seeds for Dear Wife, but she said the picture was wrong!? She insists that the Baby Bok-Choy has a green base, not white. I have been reading lots of stuff online, but it seems to me that it's all the same Bok-Choy - just picked at different times.

:caf Also, for anyone on the thread, now that I'm getting more into gardening, I am getting frustrated with things like Bok-Choy which are also called by many other names (Pak-Choy, Chinese Cabbage, etc...) Whatever happened to using Latin scientific names on the seed packs to differentiate between types of the plant? At least with different types of tomatoes, you can see a difference in the pictures (round, roma, cherry, grape, etc...). All the pictures on the Bok-Choy seed packs look the same to me.

The baby bok choy that I grew last year had a white base but I have grown some with a slightly greenish/white base.

Funny thing, when I plant bok choy it's usually larger than anything labeled as pak choi. This has happened to me several times with multiple varieties but everything I have read online says they're interchangeable. I like planting multiple varieties of just about everything I grow, so I plant them side by side, same soil, same water, fertilizing, etc., and pak choi is smaller in every case with the only exception being baby bok choy. :idunno

So this year I planted Win Win Choi, and Joi Choi, lol, both because I thought the names were fun and because they look really large so I think I'll finally get to put that pak/bok choy/choi size difference experience to rest. Lol

DS and DH want to shoot it. I told them I will catch him and rehome him to a responsible pet owner. The guy who came to get him (claiming his aunt owns the dog, she said it's their dog) told us that the aunt can't afford to feed it so they basically let him roam to fend for himself. I can't put a dog to death like that... He's starving. No laws on my side to force them to surrender the dog so I'm just going to have to catch him and rehome him. DH told them as much when they came to get him.

Injuries from the dog below are the 3 worst.... I brought the 2 worst inside for treatment. Several others were missing feathers, had scratches, and were limping. But at least none were killed outright. All 62 birds accounted for.

View attachment 3446423
View attachment 3446424
View attachment 3446425
Then catch the dog keep it give it love but know the weakness it has.

4AF3DBB6-40F2-479F-B855-7BFD5E252938.jpeg

8 out of the 10 chicks that hatched this weekend. The 10th one hatched Monday. It was shrink wrapped a bit so we will see how it does. Chick # 7(not pictured) seems to have a lot of issues. Curled feet & possible splay leg. Hatched entirely on its own. I may have to put it down. 😞
FABB045A-8343-44B6-A2EC-E7536CDE8B3D.jpeg

Cosmos and Zinnias are all I have started inside so far. Well, and some pink petunias too.
CCD4E319-12A2-4428-9CD8-2F35F82E4E6C.jpeg

Will start seeds in earnest when I get back from Arizona.

FYI Bok-Choy is in the mustard family. They bolt - go to seed from a spring planting for me. Triggered by days getting longer. If planted when days are getting shorter they do not bolt. In the south I think they are grown in late winter I think. Here they will go to seed in late May

At Lowe’s, I was seduced by the gladiolus and dahlia bulbs/roots.

I want to plant them, but, says to wait until all danger of frost has gone…which is mid May. But, if they are buried underground, do I have to wait?

FWIW, we have some glads planted behind the house, near the foundation. East facing. They come back each year. But only a few -maybe there were more before and only a few survived, but previous owners planted them. No dahlia experience, though.

Any advice?

So this year I planted Win Win Choi, and Joi Choi, lol, both because I thought the names were fun and because they look really large so I think I'll finally get to put that pak/bok choy/choi size difference experience to rest. Lol

Yep, part of my frustration is that I think these seed companies are just trying to come up with "fun" names, charge more for the seeds, but really are probably all the same stock. That's why I wish there were scientific names on the seed packs.

Anyways, I got a couple different "names" of Bok-Choy to plant but the pictures look more or less the same. I told Dear Wife that if we find some Baby Bok-Choy she likes, we will have to let a plant or two go to seed and save those seeds for future plantings.

Back
Top Bottom